No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - Next up for Williams will be a second round clash against Kazakh Galina Voskoboeva, a 6-4 6-3 winner over Romania's Monica Niculescu earlier today. Women's drawsheet.
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 6-1 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Schiavone nets a forehand approach shot to hand Williams two match points with exactly an hour on the clock as the rain starts to fall. The first goes begging when Serena sends her forehand return long across court. But she does wrap up the win at the second attempt when Schiavone goes long with a forehand of her own.
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 5-1 - Schiavone nets a poor backhand passing shot attempt to hand Williams a game point, that she didn't really have to work for, before sending a forehand wide down the line to help Serena hold. Schiavone will have to serve to stay in the match next. Can she secure another game?
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 4-1 - Schiavone finds herself staring at yet another break point after an eighth double fault. She saves it with a much better first serve that Williams can only net in return before Schiavone sets up her FIRST GAME POINT OF THE MATCH. AND SHE DOES HOLD! A fantastic point t seal your first game as she dinks a beautifully angled forehand stop volley across court, which Williams cannot get up before the double bounce.
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 4-0 - Once again Schiavone is left scampering around the baseline from side-to-side-to-side, grunts and squeaks from both players only adding to the drama. In the end, Schiavone tries to change direction and goes wide with the forehand down the line before Williams seals another hold with a body serve.
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 3-0 - BREAK! Schiavone seeks out a hug from a ballboy at the back of the court after finding herself another break point down. It helps get the crowd behind her even more (they want a match) but it doesn't help her stop the rot and another netted shot and Williams has yet another break of serve.
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 2-0 - A tougher service game this time around for Williams as she is pushed to deuce (with a forehand into the net) before recovering and holding with an emphatic smash winner across court to consolidate the early break
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 1-0 - BREAK! Schiavone gets ball after ball after ball back in the best rally of the match so far, trying desperate to stave off another break point, but in the end she can only net a forehand and Williams has yet another break.
- - WILLIAMS 6-0 - SET! Schiavone saves a first set point with a cross court forehand that Williams can only net in reply. But the Italian guesses Serena will serve to the backhand on the next point, leaving an nice gentle ace open for Williams down the centre of the court. That's the first set, a bagel, in just 23 minutes.
- - WILLIAMS 5-0 - BREAK! Williams breaks to love to leave herself serving for the first set in double quick time. Schiavone is going for the big second serve because otherwise Serena is punishing the second serve but they she slaps down a double fault to concede.
- - WILLIAMS 4-0 - Serena races through a love service hold to consolidate the double break, a huge forehand down the centre of the court proving too much for Schiavone who can only send her forehand sailing long.
- - WILLIAMS 3-0 - BREAK! Williams has acres of court with which to find a forehand winner and bring up three more break points, after pushing Schiavone wide. The first goes begging when the American nets her backhand return but the sure enough the world number one does secure the double break at the second time of asking when Schiavone belts a frustrated forehand long.
- - WILLIAMS 2-0 - A big ace down the centre of the court, which a flailing Schiavone cannot return, and a forehand drive volley, which the Italian can only hit wide, and Williams has an opening hold to love to consolidate the early break.
- - WILLIAMS 1-0 - BREAK! Serena starts with a belting forehand winner and a huge cross court backhand that Schiavone can only loft wide in return. The Italian does get on the board but another booming ground-stroke from Williams draws the forehand long from Schiavone and already the American has a break advantage.
- - These two have met each other seven times before with Serena leading the head-to-heads by five wins to two, including their only meeting so far this year in Toronto. Also, one of Schiavone's previous two meetings came in 2009 in Madrid when Serena was forced to retire hurt.
- - Coming up shortly on the Arthur Ashe Stadium, once the tournament opening ceremony is complete will be world number one Serena Williams - bidding for a fifth title at Flushing Meadows. She's taking on tricky Italian Francesca Schiavone.
|Date of Birth||26/09/1981|
|Date of Birth||23/06/1980|