No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So it is 13th seed Ana Ivanovic, with a slightly worryingly high error count, who is through to the fourth round with a comeback three sets win over American Christina McHale. Ivanovic now awaits the winner between second seed Victoria Azarenka and French 26th seed Alize Cornet. Women's drawsheet.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 6-4 - GAME, SET & MATCH! McHale opens with a double fault, trying to keep the serve on the backhand of Ivanovic before a vicious all-or-nothing inside out forehand winner across court earns her two match points. McHale saves the first with a gutsy forehand drive volley winner right onto the line. Ivanovic gets a second serve to look at on the second and moves over a metre inside the court to return it. It works though as McHale goes long and wide with her backhand follow-up.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 5-4 - Ivanovic emphatically keeps the pressure on McHale, putting the disappointment of not breaking in that previous game to one side and racing through a quick love service hold with back-to-back one two punches of the big serve out wide followed by the change-of-direction forehand winner. McHale, who served for the match at 5-4 in the second set, will have to serve to stay in it after the change of ends.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 4-4 - A stunning forehand smash come high and wide volley is directed across court from Ivanovic and on to the line for the winner that sets up a break point off a very tricky ball. McHale saves it with a great backhand across court that Ivanovic can only net before earning herself a game point with a deep forehand across court. And the American holds to level up with a big serve.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 4-3 - After having to fight off a break point in her last service game, Ivanovic gets things back on track with a love service hold sealed with a cross court backhand winner and an ace. A big service game coming up for McHale after the change of ends.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 3-3 - An absolutely huge forehand down the line followed by a sliced backhand volley deep across court sees Ivanovic level up at 15-all before a big cross court forehand return draws the forehand wind down the line from McHale. Ivanovic can't quite earn herself the break point though, missing the forehand down the line wide, and McHale has the hold to level up with an inside-out forehand winner across court off the high ball.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 3-2 - A blistering forehand return of serve from McHale gets her off the mark in the game before Ivanovic goes just long a couple of points later with a forehand to gift the American a break point. Ivanovic saves it with the one-two punch of a serve down the T followed by a cross court forehand winner. A first game point goes begging for the Serb but she earns herself a second with a huge forehand winner before sealing the hold when McHale's backhand return goes long.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 2-2 - Great hussle from McHale as she somehow keeps herself in the rally with a flicked forehand reply to a vicious forehand down the line from Ivanovic before going on to take the point when the Serb netted a rushed backhand. McHale goes on to hold to 30 with another brutal rally that ends after a 10 plus exchange when Ivanovic nets a forehand.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 2-1 - A blink-and-you'll-miss-it service hold from Ivanovic is sealed to love with a great first serve down the centre of the court that McHale cannot return in play.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 1-1 - A backhand winner from McHale sees her seal a service hold to 15 to get her side of the scoreboard ticking over once more and keep her level with Ivanovic in the early stages of this decider.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 1-0 - A lunging backhand volley from Ivanovic turns out rather better than perhaps even she thought as it lands right on the baseline to help her level at 30-all. A forehand long from the American and a big serve which McHale can only return long then see Ivanovic hold without the loss of any more points. That's the first game of the final set to the Serb.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 7-5 - SET! An over-reaching backhand into the net from McHale, who failed to get her feet in the right place and had to stretch for the ball instead, and it its two set points to Ivanovic to level this match. The first goes begging when Ivanovic nets a backhand return off an 87mph second serve. But the 13th seed does wrap up the set at the second attempt when McHale goes wide with an inside-out forehand across court. This match is headed to the decider.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 6-5 - Ivanovic is forced to break back from two break points down yet again. She saves the first with a forehand winner down the line and the second with an ace down the centre of the court. And from there she goes on to hold when McHale tracks wide to run round the ball only to fire her slightly rushed forehand wide down the line. The American will next have to serve to stay in this second set.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 5-5 - BREAK! A very nervy game from McHale ends in a double fault to basically hand the break back to Ivanovic, who only really had to get the ball back in play and wait for the mistakes to come from the American's racquet. Back on serve in this second set.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 4-5 - BREAK! McHale brings up another two break points, to leave her serving for the match, with a blistering cross court forehand winner. She only needs the one though as Ivanovic nets a backhand. McHale will serve for the upset after the change of ends.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 4-4 - McHale comes through another tough service game, eventually holding from deuce with a forehand winner to level up at 4-4 games apeice as this set, and possibly the match, reaches crunch point.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 4-3 - Ivanovic gets things back on track in her favour with a hold to 30 with a big ace across court. The Serb leads for just the second time in this set, albeit only on serve. A big game coming up for McHale, in the context of this second set, after the change of ends.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 3-3 - BREAK! Ivanovic gets things back on track when McHale sets up for the huge inside-out winner across court only to send her ball long towards the corner. That last point was a bit of a let-off for Ivanovic, but the Serb had done some good work to get herself in that position in the first place.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 2-3 - BREAK! A couple of poor ground-strokes from Ivanovic hands McHale two more break points. The Serb saves the first with a forehand approach shot deep that the American can only return into the net. But a tight forehand approach shot into the net from the Serb, albeit off a tough forehand from McHale, and the American leads by a set and a break.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 2-2 - McHale also races through a love service hold to get her side of the scoreboard ticking over in her favour behind her own serve.
- - IVANOVIC 3-6 2-1 - Ivanovic stops the exchange of breaks with a much more impressive service hold to 15 with an injection of pace on the cross court forehand which goes for a winner, comfortably beating McHale for pace.
- - IVANOVIC 4-6 1-1 - BREAK! Ivanovic breaks straight back to love to get things back on level terms with a blistering forehand return of serve whipped across court.
- - IVANOVIC 4-6 0-1 - BREAK! Ivanovic completely loses her rhythm on serve and McHale takes full advantage, breaking to love after a smash error and a forehand error from the Serb.
- - IVANOVIC 4-6 - SET! McHale squanders a first break point before Ivanovic levels at deuce with some huge hitting including an inside out forehand that McHale can only net. But the American earns herself a third chance with an ace before wrapping things up with a huge forehand than Ivanovic cannot return in play.
- - IVANOVIC 4-5 - A blistering return winner from McHale, who saw that serve so early and waited until it sat up into her hitting zone, is the only point she can manage as Ivanovic holds to 15 with an ace and a grea first serve that the American can only return into the net. Ivanovic asks the question of McHale, who has suffered from glandular fever this season. Can the American serve it out?
- - IVANOVIC 3-5 - Ivanovic runs around the ball and rattles a forehand winner down the line to level up at 30-all before McHale can recover with a backhand into the net from the Serb and then a backhand winner to hold and leave Ivanovic serving to stay in this opening set.
- - IVANOVIC 3-4 - Three big serves from Ivanovic earn her three game points as McHale fails to land a single return. And that quickly turns into a love service hold from the Serb as she produces a fourth heavy serve that McHale can only retun into the net.
- - IVANOVIC 2-4 - A blistering forehand winner across court from Ivanovic looks to be all she is going to get from the game as McHale eases out to two game points. But the Serb pegs the first point back with a some fine hitting to the corners, a backhand winner in the end overstretching McHale. The American then hits long to squander the second and Ivanovic is back to deuce. McHale finds a first serve just when it matters though and goes on to hold when Ivanovic pulls her angled backhand wide.
- - IVANOVIC 2-3 - McHale denies Ivanovic on a first game point with a forehand winner across court while a second goes begging for the Serb when he hits a backhand error. Deuce. A forehand pulled wide across court from Ivanovic hands McHale another break point but the American cannot take advantage as she puts a forehand just long and Ivanovic goes on to secure her first service hold of the day with a neat forehand stop volley winner after the heavy inside out cross court forehand approach shot.
- - IVANOVIC 1-3 - A much more positive game from McHale this time around to consolidate the break to 15 this time around with a huge forehand that Ivanovic can only return into the net off the backhand wing.
- - IVANOVIC 1-2 - BREAK! Ivanovic works her way into the net on game point, only to put her sliced backhand volley just wide across court having done all the hard work on the approach to open up the space. From there McHale earns herself another break point and a double fault from Ivanovic concedes serve for the third straight game in this match.
- - IVANOVIC 1-1 - BREAK! A bit of a mixed bag from Ivanovic on the forehand as she practices some shadow swings between points, clearly not happy that she's found her rhythm just yet. But back-to-back forehand winners from the Serb and she has the break back to get this clash back on serve immediately.
- - IVANOVIC 0-1 - BREAK! Ivanovic misses a first serve by just milimetres, the Serb challenges and has a wry smile on her face as the hawkeye footage is forced to zoom in order to show the miniscule distance by which the ball missed. Her second serve is then punished by McHale to bring up an early break point and the American gets off the mark with some aggressive hitting, moving up inside the baseline to whip a forehand winner away across court.
- - Ana Ivanovic is just about ready to get her clash underway against promising American Christina McHale on Arthur Ashe. The former world number one is just about ready to go and will get the clash underway by serving first.
|Date of Birth||06/11/1987|
|Date of Birth||11/05/1992|