No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So it will be world number one Novak Djokovic against world number two Rafael Nadal in the men's final on Monday night. That promises to be an epic clash!
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 6-2 - GAME, SET & MATCH! A second double fault in quick succession not only leaves Gasquet doubled over in anguish but also hands Rafael Nadal a place in the US Open final against Novak Djokovic.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 5-2 40-30 - Nadal levels at 30-all with a great interception forehand volley down the line after a backhand across court from Gasquet. A double fault from the Frenchman then hands Nadal a first match point...
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 5-2 - Nadal is more than ready for the Gasquet backhand across court and dismissively fires a change-of-direction forehand winner down the line on his way to another service hold, sealed with a smash winner. The Frenchman will have to serve to stay in the match after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 4-2 - A netted backhand from Nadal hands Gasquet two game points. The first goes begging with a brutal cross court forehand right onto the sideline from Nadal followed by a change-of-direction winner down the line from the Spaniard. But Gasquet does hold at the second attempt, with a forehand volley winner, to keep the deficit down to just the one breka of serve.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 4-1 - Nadal is nearly there now as he posts another hold to 15 when Gasquet pulls another forehand wide across court. The Spaniard is potentially just two games away from a third US Open final.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 3-1 - Much better from Gasquet as he races up to the net for a spot of serve and volley, putting away a forehand volley down the line to seal a service hold to 15 that belatedly gets him off the mark in this third set.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 3-0 - Nadal races through a love service game to consolidate the break, sealing the game with a forehand winner from the mid-court and surely that is now it for the Spaniard? It's a long way back from here for Gasquet.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 2-0 - BREAK! Nadal denies Gasquet on a game point with a stunning forehand down the line that exposes the Frenchman's position five or six feet behind the baseline. And from there the Spaniard goes on to break when Gasquet completely mis-hits a forehand, framing the ball directly up in the air to concede his serve.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) 1-0 - Gasquet distainfully smacks away a backhand winner across court to level up at deuce in the first game of the third set. But the Frenchman misses a forehand down the line before Nadal holds with a cross court backhand that Gasquet can only net in reply.
- - NADAL 6-4 7-6(1) - SET! The comfortable 5-1 lead quickly becomes six set points for Nadal as he again utilises the drop shot and forehand volley passing shot winner combo. And he is not required to do anything on the first of those set points as Gasquet slaps down a double fault to concede the set.
- - NADAL 6-4 6-6 (5-1) - TIE-BREAK! Gasquet opens the breaker with a double fault to gift Nadal the early mini-break which he then helps the Spaniard extend with a forehand wide down the line after a punishing rally. Nadal turns that into a 5-1 lead at the change of ends with some relentless hitting from the baseline that draws the error from Gasquet off the forehand wing.
- - NADAL 6-4 6-6 - Nadal continues to match Gasquet on serve, holding to love himself to force the tie-break in this second set. These two have played two breakers before with Gasquet winning both of them - 8-6 in their meeting at the Monte Carlo Masters in 2005 and then 14-12 at the Toronto Masters three years later.
- - NADAL 6-4 5-6 - A love service game is just what Gasquet needs as he sneaks ahead once more in this second set. Nadal races up to the net on the second point of the game but just fails to get his forehand off the drop shot back up and over the net, and the Frenchman from there quickly snatches another two points by sealing the game with an ace. Nadal will have to serve to keep the set alive for a second time.
- - NADAL 6-4 5-5 - Nadal makes light of the pressure of serving to stay in the set and races through a service hold of his own to 15. The Spaniard produces a forehand winner down the line to bring up two game points before holding on the first with a service winner down the centre of the court, checked on hawkeye in vain by Gasquet.
- - NADAL 6-4 4-5 - Despite a forehand pushed wide down the line from Gasquet, off the drop shot, on the first point of the game, the Frenchman does well to hold for the loss of just that one point and leave Nadal serving to stay in this second set after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 6-4 4-4 - A spectacular backhand return of serve winner across court from Gasquet brings up two more break points for the Frenchman. Nadal saves the first with a perfectly-placed ace out wide and then also the second with a body serve that Gasquet can only send back into the net off the forehand wing. And from there Nadal goes on to hold with another brutal rally that eventually draws the forehand volley error from Gasquet, off a dipping forehand from Nadal.
- - NADAL 6-4 3-4 - Gasquet is proving much more solid in this second set as he finds another ace, his third of the match, to seal another game after bring up game point with his very first forehand winner of the match!
- - NADAL 6-4 3-3 - Nadal makes three consecutive trips up to the net, Gasquet only coming out on top of one when he fires a blistering backhand passing shot winner. But the Spaniard triumphs on the other two occasions and goes on to hold after pushing Gasquet deep behind the baseline and drawing the forehand error.
- - NADAL 6-4 2-3 - A good solid serve from Gasquet out to Nadal's forehand draws the whipped shot wide across court from the Spaniard and secures the third straight game for the Frenchman, who holds to get his nose in front in this second set.
- - NADAL 6-4 2-2 - BREAK! A trademark single-handed backhand winner from Gasquet off the return of serve and he has just a second break point of the match. The chance goes begging though when Nadal goes for the forehand down the line and draws the netted cross court forehand from the Frenchman. This time Gasquet gets a second chance and Nadal finally concedes his serve - for the first time in 89 games, when he over-cooks a forehand down the centre of the court.
- - NADAL 6-4 2-1 - Exactly the same as the first set as Gasquet gets a hold in the third game of the set. But he already trails by a break. The Frenchman, this time, races through a love service hold, sealing the game with back-to-back aces.
- - NADAL 6-4 2-0 - Nadal slices a backhand passing shot down the line off a drop shot from Gasquet on his way to another service hold, sealed with an inside-out shoulder-height forehand volley winner across court. That's 88 consecutive service games won for Nadal.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-0 - BREAK! Nadal strikes right at the start of the set again. Gasquet's forehand hasn't really worked for him so far today and he nets another to gift Nadal an early break point in the second set. One chance is all Nadal needs as he whips another high, spinning ball towards the backhand of Gasquet, who again nets the ball to concede his serve.
- - NADAL 6-4 - SET! Gasquet makes it a little more tricky for Nadal on serve again this time around as he pushes the Spaniard to 30-all but he can do nothing more from there, Nadal fashioning a first set point with a spinning serve that Gasquet can only return long. And that's enough for the world number two to seal the set as Gasquet fails to find another forehand after an inside-out cross court forehand from Nadal.
- - NADAL 5-4 - Nadal makes it look easy as he chases down a drop shot from Gasquet before reaching over and dinking a forehand volley winner into the open court. The Frenchman only allows Nadal that one point though as he holds to 15 with a big serve and forehand winner, but the Spaniard will serve for the set after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 5-3 - Serene progress for Nadal on serve as he holds once again to love, Gasquet returning the Spaniard's serve wide on the cross court forehand to leave himself serving to stay in this opening first set next.
- - NADAL 4-3 - Gasquet is a regular up at the net now and brings up two more game points with a forehand volley winner before holding with a big serve that Nadal cannot return in play off the forehand wing.
- - NADAL 4-2 - Nadal races through a service hold to 15 to maintain his break advantage early in this set, the only dropped point from the Spaniard coming on a double fault.
- - NADAL 3-2 - A single-handed backhand error from Gasquet quickly followed by a double-handed backhand winner (across court) from Nadal sees the Spaniard race out to a 0-30 lead on the Frenchman's serve. Nadal goes on to push Gasquet to deuce but the Frenchman recovers to hold with another trip into the net and a backhand volley winner.
- - NADAL 3-1 - Gasquet stands up on the baseline for a change before moving up to the net with a forehand approach shot, bringing up a break back point with a backhand volley. Nadal saves it though with a great serve before earning himself a game point with the first ace of the contest. Gasquet saves it with another trip into the net and a smash winner but Nadal holds at the third attempt.
- - NADAL 2-1 - Much better serving from Gasquet as he holds for the loss of just the one point with a decent serve that Nadal can only return wide on a cross court backhand.
- - NADAL 2-0 - Nadal looks set to hold to 15 to consolidate the break only for Gasquet to unleash one of his single-handed backhands and draw the error from Nadal. The Spaniard quickly makes amends and holds at the second attempt though and he is off to a very confident start.
- - NADAL 1-0 - BREAK! Nadal slaps a backhand long down the centre of the court to hand Gasquet two pretty speedy game points. The first goes begging when the Frenchman sends a forehand long as does the second, this time on a backhand, before Nadal earns himself an early break point. Sure enough the early break goes the way of the world number two when Gasquet slices a backhand into the net.
- - The players are just about ready to go and it will be Gasquet to kick off proceedings by serving first...
- - One more stat for you, Nadal has not been broken since the Cincinnati Masters - the tournament he won just before coming to New York for the US Open.
- - So the winner of this clash will face world number one Novak Djokovic. The Serb just came through an epic thriller 2-6 7-6(4) 3-6 6-3 6-4 against Stanislas Wawrinka. Djokovic downs Wawrinka in thriller to reach final
- - Gasquet does have one victory to his name over Nadal. Way back in 2003, the Frenchman secured a win over the Spaniard in a challenger in St Jean De Luz when he was forced to retire after dropping the first set 6-2. Don't imagine that will offer Gasquet much comfort though.
- - In fact, in those previous 10 meetings, Richard Gasquet has managed to take just four sets off Nadal - in their first meeting in Estoril back in 2004, at the Monte Carlo Masters a year later, in the Masters Cup final in China in 2007 and most recently at the Toronto Masters in 2008.
- - These two have met each other 10 times before with Nadal winning each and every one of those previous meetings.
- - In reaching the last four, Nadal has spent 10 hours and 38 minutes on court while Gasquet has spent 14 hours and 47 minutes, the most of any of the four semi-finalists.
- - Gasquet, meanwhile, has come past Michael Russell and Stephane Robert in straight sets in the first two rounds. Dimitry Tursunov was making things tough for him in the third round before the Russian was forced to retire down a break in the fourth set. The Frenchman had a very tough fourth round against Milos Raonic, including three tie-break sets and eventually coming through it 7-5 in the fifth. An impressive five set win over David Ferrer then followed in the quarters.
- - Nadal has looked very impressive during the US hard-court season, none more so that at Flushing Meadows. He has beaten Ryan Harrison, Rogerio Dutra Silva and Ivan Dodig in straight sets in the opening three rounds. He did drop a set against 22nd seed Philipp Kohlschreiber in the fourth round before reverting to type with a straight sets win over compatriot Tommy Robredo in the quarter-finals.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the second of the men's semi-finals at the US Open in New York between world number two Rafael Nadal and eighth seed Richard Gasquet.
|Date of Birth||18/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|