|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So world number one Rafael Nadal is through to the semi-finals of the ATP World Tour Finals as winner of Group A with Stanislas Wawrinka following him through as runner-up. Who will join them in the last four? We will find out tomorrow when Group B reaches it's conclusion.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 6-3 - GAME, SET & MATCH! Berdych goes for the change of direction forehand down the line but belts the ball well long and also slightly wide to hand Nadal three match points. The first is squandered by the Spaniard on a double fault but he does wrap up the match at the second attempt with a blistering forehand passing shot down the line, that Berdych can get nowhere near.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 5-3 - BREAK! Berdych goes long with a forehand to drop the first point of the game before also slapping down a double fault to gift Nadal a 0-30 lead without the Spaniard having to do much at all. A forehand winner down the line from Nadal brings up triple break point. Berdych saves the first with a forehand winner down the line off the shorter ball. But he slaps a second double fault on the second to concede the game and leave Nadal serving for it.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 4-3 - Tremendous striking of the ball from Berdych, off the forehand wing and across court, does more than enough to get Nadal out-of-position and open the court up for a smash winner to the opposite corner for the Czech. He leads 15-30 against the Nadal serve. But the Spaniard bounces back with a couple of forehand winners and goes on to hold when Berdych fails to land his forehand return in play.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 3-3 - Berdych is also quick to post another service hold, and does so to 15 when Nadal's forehand return catches the top of the tape and fails to drop over.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 3-2 - Nadal races through a love service hold to sneak out in front once more, charging into the net and firing an emphatic backhand volley down into the court with such force that Berdych can only return the ball into the net.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 2-2 - Nadal is furious with himself when he nets a running forehand to let an out of position Berdych off the hook. The Czech, on the other hand, takes full advantage of being let off and goes on to hold with another booming serve.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 2-1 - Easier for Nadal this time around as he does hold to 15 at the first attempt, wrong-footing Berdych on the baseline and sending a forehand winner down the line albeit well inside the line.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 1-1 - Another big serve is put into play by Berdych, that's a 12th ace of the match for the Czech, and he holds for the loss of just the one point to quickly put all the pressure back on Nadal over the other side of the net.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 1-0 - Nadal sends an off-balance backhand long down the line to squander a first game point, despite having Berdych out of position and on the run, before also wasting the second with a netted forehand. Deuce. Berdych then denies Nadal on a third game point with an inside out forehand winner across court. But Nadal eventually holds at the fourth attempt when Berdych nets a forehand down the line.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-6 - SET! Nadal works Berdych from side-to-side before just stretching the Czech a little too far with a forehand down the line that goes for a winner. Consecutive forehand returns long from the Spaniard allow Berdych to level at 30-30 before an ace right onto the T brings up a first set point. Berdych stops mid-point though to challenge a forehand onto the line from Nadal and he's wrong! But he quickly gets a second chance and this time he seals the set with an ace.
- - NADAL 6-4 1-5 - A big grunt from Nadal as he bangs down a 107mph ace to bring up two game points before holding with a well cut-off backhand volley on the cross court forehand passing shot attempt from Berdych. The Czech will still serve for the second next though. And with the new balls as well.
- - NADAL 6-4 0-5 - Nadal applies a bit of pressure with a trip into the net, his dipping forehand approach shot causing Berdych too much trouble as the Czech puts his forehand response into the net. But he makes no such mistake on the second of his game points as he pushes Nadal deep behind the baseline and draws a netted forehand to consolidate the double break. Nadal will have to serve to avoid the ignominy of a bagel set against him after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 6-4 0-4 - BREAK! Nadal looks a little perplexed when he fails to find the court with another two forehands in quick succession to hand Berdych a 0-30 lead. Yet another forehand then goes long down the line from the Spaniard and it's three more break points to Berdych. The Czech does wrap up the break with an inside out forehand drive, that just catches the top of the tape on the way through and lands right on the sideline.
- - NADAL 6-4 0-3 - Berdych lands his seventh consecutive first serves in the set to go 40-0 up. That stat ends on the next point but he still wraps up the game to love when Nadal goes long down the line with another forehand. That's three straight love service games for Berdych and he has consolidated his break lead early in this second set.
- - NADAL 6-4 0-2 - BREAK! Nadal thinks the ball is going out and can't quite get back into position quick enough to get his backhand in play. It hands Berdych 15-30 against the Nadal serve for the first time. 15-30 quickly becomes two break points when the Czech gets a little lucky with a net cord producing a winner. Nadal saves the first with a big first serve but can do nothing about the second, putting a forehand wide down the line. Berdych has the break.
- - NADAL 6-4 0-1 - Berdych posts his second successive love service hold, opening the second set in blink-and-you'll-miss-it fashion and taking the game with an ace.
- - NADAL 6-4 - SET! Nadal's first ace of the day brings up two set points. But it only takes the one change once again, Berdych netting a backhand to lose his 13th straight set to the Spaniard.
- - NADAL 5-4 - Fantastic from Berdych as he makes light of serve to stay in the set and posts his first love service hold of the evening, sealing it with an ace. Nadal will have to serve out this set after the change of ends.
- - NADAL 5-3 - Nadal easily gets up to the net for a forehand volley only to dump the ball into net and drop the first point of the game. Berdych even finds himself at 30-30 for the first time in the game but lets out an anguished cry as he pulls off the stroke and sends his inside out backhand wide and Nadal goes on to hold.
- - NADAL 4-3 - The crowd think Berdych has sealed another game with an unreturnable serve only for umpire Mohamed Lehani to call a let. But the Czech does seal the game when they replay the point, Nadal netting a low backhand.
- - NADAL 4-2 - Berdych sends a wild, completely mis-hit backhadn sailing wide across court before a great first serve from Nadal is returned wide by the Czech. Nadal has dropped just three points on serve so far, one in each service game.
- - NADAL 3-2 - Nadal denies Berdych on a first game point with another metronomic rally from the baseline, eventually forcing the Czech to come up with something different only for him to fire a change-of-direction forehand wide down the line. Deuce. Nadal sliced a backhand long down the line though and Berdych closes out the game with a second ace - over 130mph - down the centre of the court.
- - NADAL 3-1 - Nadal skips around the ball and goes back behind Berdych with a curling forehand to bring up another two game points. But once again, the Spaniard seals it on the first as Berdych pulls a forehand wide into the tramlines across court.
- - NADAL 2-1 - Berdych finds a 137mph ace down the centre of the court to bring up his first game point of the match. But it only takes the one and the Czech is off the mark with a neat little drop shot off the forehand wing that slices back towards the net and away from Nadal immediately that it has bounced.
- - NADAL 2-0 - Berdych nets a routine forehand to hand Nadal two game points to make quick work of consolidating the early break. It only takes one though as Berdych nets a second forehand in quick succession after a nastily bouncing backhand from the Spaniard.
- - NADAL 1-0 - BREAK! Fantastic start from Nadal as he belts a curling forehand winner over the net to take the first point of the match. The Spaniard then also dips a ball right down on to the baseline, challenged unsucessfully by Berdych, to take the second point. The Czech hits back with a trip into the net and a forehand winner but Nadal quickly has two break points and takes advantage of the second when Berdych sends a forehand long.
- - The players are ready to go. Berdych to serve first ...
20:08 - Berdych is asked to call the toss of the coin, calls heads and wins, opting to serve first. Just the warm-up to go now.
20:02 - The players are just about to walk out on to court, the familiar O2 Arena heartbeat ringing around the court as first Berdych and then Nadal are introduced to the crowd.
19:55 - Berdych, meanwhile, opened with a three-sets loss against Wawrinka before bouncing back to beat Ferrer in straight sets. But he is going to do something he's not done since 2006 - beat Nadal. In fact only once since then has he even taken a set of the Spaniard. That was a tie-break set in the 2012 Australian Open.
19:50 - After his loss in the Paris semi-finals to Ferrer last week, Nadal has been on a great run. He got a straight-sets revenge win over his compatriot in his first match in London before following it with a straight sets win over Wawrinka just a day later. That win over the Swiss number two not only ensured his place in the knockout stages of the tournament but also secured him the year-ending world number one ranking. Now he's had a day off.
19:45 - These two have met each other 19 times before, with Nadal leading the head-to-heads by an overwhelming 16 wins to just three. Nadal won their first clash in Bastad back in 2006 before Berdych bounced back with three straight wins. The last of those was in Madrid in front of Nadal's home crowd and Berdych ended the night but shush-ing the vociferous Nadal supporters. Needless to say that didn't go down too well. And Berdych has not won another match against Nadal since.
19:40 - Berdych, on the other hand. After Wawrinka's victory over Ferrer earlier today, to stand any chance of reaching the last four, Berdych needs to beat Rafael Nadal tonight, something he has not managed in 15 straight attempts.
19:35 - Nadal is already sure of a place in Saturday's semi-finals. And he only needs one more set to ensure he finishes top of the group and ends up on the opposite side of the las four than Novak Djokovic.
19:30 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the final Group A clash at the ATP World Tour Finals between world number one Rafael Nadal and Tomas Berdych.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||17/09/1985|