No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - 2008 winner (and 2012 runner-up) Maria Sharapova is through to the second week of the tournament then. And she will face Dominika Cibulkova in the fourth round, the Slovak dropping just two games in her last two matches. Women's drawsheet
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH - SHARAPOVA 6-1 7-6(6) CORNET - Relief for Maria Sharapova as she takes advantage of her second match point (albeit nearly 20 minutes after her first), a forehand down the centre of the court enough in the end as Cornet puts her return into the net.
- - TIE-BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 6-6 (6-6) CORNET - No double fault from Sharapova, despite the French having to let her ball toss drop, but instead she backs away from the ball and sends a forehand long to gift Cornet a set point. Sharapova saves it though with a short forehand volley and a forehand drive-volley winner. All square once again at the change of ends.
- - TIE-BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 6-6 (4-5) CORNET - Ouch. Sharapova gives away the mini-break with back-to-back forehand errors before handing Cornet the lead with a horrible forehand return of serve. There was no flow to the shot at all from Sharapova, just noise and force as she netted her forehand.
- - TIE-BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 6-6 (4-2) CORNET - The Frenchwoman make awkward work of a smash, framing the ball into the top of the net to help Sharapova make the change of ends in possession of the mini-break
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 6-6 CORNET - Cornet brings up another break point with a backhand volley winner to end a sensational rally from both players, the pair of them covering every inch of the court. Sharapova saves the first break point with a length forehand but she can do nothing about the second, sending a forehand wide and long. Sharapova has served for the match twice now but instead it will be a second set tie-break.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 6-5 CORNET - Sharapova will have a second chance to serve out this match as she moves up to the net and buries a forehand volley into the open court for a winner. The Russian is one of the best at putting a poor point behind her and clearing it from her mind.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 5-5 CORNET - A massive double fault from Sharapova as she pulls down badly on her second serve brings her tally to seven - five in this second set. Maybe she is more tired after that second round epic that she initially showed today. She would absolutely be forgiven for struggling a little the longer this match goes on. And it's yet another double that costs Sharapova as she hands Cornet the break back. Back on serve now.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-1 5-4 CORNET - A sensational angle from Sharapova as she belts a running forehand winner across court before going on to earn herself a first match point. A mis-hit backhand squanders it for the Russian though and Cornet goes on to hold and force Sharapova to serve out the match after the change of ends.
- - It's may only be 25 degrees out there today but looking at Sharapova you'd be forgiven for thinking it was still in the mid-40s as she covers up with an ice vest and ice boa at the change of ends.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-1 5-3 CORNET - A litle look heaven-ward from Sharapova as she slaps down her sixth double fault of the match. But it turns out to be the only point dropped in the game by the Russian as Cornet nets a couple of returns. The Frenchwoman will have to serve to stay in the match next.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 4-3 CORNET - Sharapova lets out a huge yell of "come on" as she earns herself another break point with a slew of increasingly aggressive forehands from the middle of the court. Sure enough the Russian does break again, this time the winner coming from an inside out forehand drive volley winner across court.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-1 3-3 CORNET - Sharapova is back in the zone now and looking focused as she works her way up to the net to fire off a forehand drive volley on her way to the hold that gets the set firmly back on serve.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 2-3 CORNET - Oh ouch! Once again, Cornet follows up a break of the Sharapova serve by gifting her serve back to the Russian to love. A double fault seals the break for Sharapova and gets this second set back on serve.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 6-1 1-3 CORNET - Cornet breaks into fits of giggles after only pulling out of a smash at the last minute. The ball does drop long but only by the smallest margin and Cornet is left chuckling at herself for letting things go so close. And the Frenchwoman goes on to break with a brilliant backhand half-volley winner which she dinks just over the net for the perfect drop shot. Now we have a match on our hands!
- - SHARAPOVA 6-1 1-2 CORNET - Sharapova completely lets Cornet off the hook after putting the Frenchwoman in another spot of bother at 0-40 down. But a series of poor returns followed by a forehand that the Russian lifts up on, pulling he ball into the net and Cornet has just her second hold of the match
- - SHARAPOVA 6-1 1-1 CORNET - Another quick and easy service for Sharapova, who continues to look very comfortable out on court today.
- - SHARAPOVA 6-1 0-1 CORNET - A much better start to the second set from Cornet, who set with her head in her hands at the change of ends, as she posts a speedy hold to 15 to double her output in this match
- - SET - SHARAPOVA 6-1 CORNET - With just 31 minutes on the clock, Sharapova takes the first set with an inside out forheand winner across court. Sharapova's second round match against Knapp was the longest match of her career. This one is probably not going to rival it unless Cornet can come up with something special quickly.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 5-1 CORNET - Ouch! After all the hard work to get on the scoreboard, Cornet throws any momentum she had built up straight away opening with a double fault before conceding her serve for the third straight time (this time to love) and handing Sharapova the chance to serve out the opening set.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 4-1 CORNET - There's a genuine cheer around the Rod Laver Arena as Cornet takes advantage of her second break back chance to belatedly good on the scoreboard. A double fault gave her the opportunity but it is all Cornet as she takes advantage of it with a deep forehand that Sharapova cannot return in play.
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 4-0 CORNET - A horrible smash from Cornet ,quickly followed by a half-volley backhand long of the baseline, hands Sharapova points for a double break lead. The Russian only needs the one chance though as Cornet dumps a retreating backhand into the net. That match against Knapp seems to have played Sharapova into some blistering form.
- - SHARAPOVA 3-0 CORNET - Absolutely no signs whatsoever of a hangover from that epic the other day for Sharapova as she shakes off an early double fault before rattling off a forehand winner down the line and a backhand drive volley winner across court to hold and consolidate the early break
- - BREAK - SHARAPOVA 2-0 CORNET - Cornet works her way out to game point with a great bit of anicipation, lunging out to her left to cut off a Sharapova forehand passing shot down the line and flicking a backhand stop volley into the open court. But it's not enough to stop Sharapova who breaks at her second attempt when the Frenchwoman nets another forehand.
- - SHARAPOVA 1-0 CORNET - A pretty decent start from Sharapova as she quickly holds without too much drama. Cornet shows a little frustration as she dumps a couple of forehands in the net and the Russian is off the mark.
- - The players are just about ready to get going and it will be Sharapova to get things underwya by serving first. Time to see how she has recovered from that second round match against Karin Knapp. Which Sharapova won 10-8 in the third, of course, having played a full 50 minutes in 44 degree heat AFTER the heat rule had been implemented and everyone else had stopped playing.
- - The weather is so much cooler today. It's the perfect tennis weather. Currently the temperature is around about 22 degrees (20 degrees cooler than yesterday) with just a light smattering of clouds around the place. They are not expecting any rain and the high is predicted to be about 25. The players will be appreciating this.
- - First on Rod Laver Arena today is this clash between former champion Maria Sharapova, seeded third this year, and French 25th seed Alize Cornet
|Date of Birth||22/01/1990|
|Date of Birth||19/04/1987|