No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So it will be Stanislas Wawrinka to play Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals, in a repeat of that epic match last year than went on for five hours. That clash will be on Monday.
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 7-6(5) ROBREDO - Robredo is clearly left annoyed by that call as he nets a forehand on the next point to hand Wawrinka two match points. The first goes begging when the Swiss player nets a forehand of his own, a return. But the second chance is on his own serve and he gets it behind his second serve when Robredo puts his running forehand into the net.
- - TIE-BREAK - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 6-6 (5-4) ROBREDO - Back on serve in the breaker after Wawrinka gets the minute break back by hitting a couple of length forehands and then a big serve that Robredo cannot cope with. Robredo is left unhappy on the next point, wanting to replay after a call and over-rule is checking by hawkeye. Robredo's argument is that the call interfered with his play, the umpire says no, the call came after he missed it.
- - TIE-BREAK - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 6-6 (2-4) ROBREDO - Wawrinka races out to a 2-0 lead before Robredo goes on the offensive and moves up the court with a series of inside out attacking forehands. That pegs Wawrinka back one point before the second also goes with a terrific running cross court forehand from the Spaniard. Robredo then moves ahead with an almost half-volley forehand winner down the line after backing away from the ball. Wawrinka nets a forehand and that's the mini-break to Robredo.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 6-6 ROBREDO - Robredo races straight out to a 40-love lead to push this third set into a tie-break. Wawrinka pegs one point back but then slaps a forehand long and sure enough if will be a breaker to decide the set and possibly the match.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 6-5 ROBREDO - Wawrinka sneaks ahead once more with a comfortable service hold to 15, sealing the game when he fires a change-of-direction off forehand winner right on to the sideline. Pressure on Robredo again as he serves to stay in the match for a second time after the change of ends.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 5-5 ROBREDO - Wawrinka is clealry pumping himself up after taking the first point of the game with another fine backhand winner. Robredo quickly puts a stop to it with two booming serves that put the Swiss on the backfoot right from his first shot. But Wawrinka levels at deuce with another huge forehand before narrowly missing out on a match point when he turn-and-hit backhand off a lob just lands in the top of the net. And Robredo goes on to hold. All square again.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 5-4 ROBREDO - The Spaniard earns himself two break points by working his way into the mid-court and thumping down a smash across court. Wawrinka saves the first with a sliding forehand winner down the line and the second with a huge first serve down the centre of the court that Robredo can only return long. And from there Wawrinka goes on to hold with another big serve that Robredo can only return long. The Spaniard will have to serve to stay in the match next.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 4-4 ROBREDO - Another great service game from Robredo in this set as he rattles through a hold to 15 with a series of big forehands across court, evetually proving too much for Wawrinka as he tries to change the direction but leaves too much on the ball and instead pushes it long.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 4-3 ROBREDO - A huge serve out wide followed up by a forehand winner down the line brings up three game points for Wawrinka once again. The first goes begging wihen the Swiss eighth seed goes for too much on a cross court forehand but Robredo's backhand return drops long on the next point and Wawrinka secures the hold.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 3-3 ROBREDO - Robredo goes for the barn-storming forehand down the line but puts his shot into the tramlines instead to help Wawrinka edge into a 0-30 lead. The Spaniard pulls one back with a forehand down the other line this time after running round the ball and then another when Wawrinka goes long with a wild forehand. And the Spaniard goes on to hold with an ace. Still level in this third set.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 3-2 ROBREDO - Wawrinka opens with another ace before cruising out to a 40-love lead and triple game point. He wastes the first with a double fault, his third, but Robredo doesn't get nearly so lucky on the second, an unreturnable body serve firing down at him, and Wawrinka holds to sneak out in front again
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 2-2 ROBREDO - Wawrinka unleashes an extraordinary backhand return of serve winner straight down the line but Robredo ignores it and goes on to hold when the Swiss player gets down low to a backhand down the line only to fire his backhand just wide into the corner.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 2-1 ROBREDO - Wawrinka just apologises to Robredo for catching the top of the tape on a backhand that takes the ball away from the Spaniard for a winner. And the Swiss player goes on to hold once more, albeit not all that convincingly, from 30-all
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 1-1 ROBREDO - Wawrinka completely shanksa backhand return across court, sending the ball well wide of even the tramlines and helping Robredo hold to level up the early stages of this third set.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) 1-0 ROBREDO - Wawrinka produces a 10th ace to get himself out of a potential spot of bother at 15-30 down before going on to seal the game with his 40th clear winner, a forehand whipping into the open court. What does Robredo have left in his tank after the disappointment of not taking that second set.
- - SET - WAWRINKA 6-3 7-6(3) ROBREDO - Wawrinka made things difficult for himself but he has taken a two sets to love lead after working his way up to the net and putting away a fairly easy high forehand volley on the angle. Ths eighth seed has a comfortable lead now.
- - TIE-BREAK - WAWRINKA 6-3 6-6(6-3) ROBREDO - Wawrinnka slices a backhand into the net but Robredo goes long with a forehand before the Swiss player produces the kind of shot how was landing in the first set. Three set points Wawrinka...
- - TIE-BREAK - WAWRINKA 6-3 6-6 (4-2) ROBREDO - Robredo flicks a backhand across court on the angle, dipping immediately after it crossed the line to sneak ahead in the breaker. Wawrinka pegs him back with a baseline exhange before even taking the lead when Robredo completely mis-times a backhand. The Swiss then takes his fourth point in a row to take the mini-break into the change of ends...
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 6-6 ROBREDO - Much better from Wawrinka again as he races through a quick service hold to force the tie-break to end this second set...
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 5-6 ROBREDO - Despite a poor forehand approach shot into the Robredo holds without any trouble, for the loss of just that one point actually, and Wawrika's head is dropping. He will have to serve to stay in this second set after then change of ends.
- - BREAK - WAWRINKA 6-3 5-5 ROBREDO - Two second serve returns missed from Robredo and he is made to pay for it as Wawrinka comes up with an eighth ace to earn himself a set point. And incredibly ambitious backhand return from Robredo comes off as he denies Wawrinka and in fact earns himself a break back point when Wawrinka sends a forehand long. A second forehand long in quick succession and Robredo does have the break back.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 5-4 ROBREDO - Much better from Robredo as he posts a service hold of his own without too much trouble. The game goes the Spaniards way on the last point of hte game when he produces a great serve that Wawinka can only return long
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 5-3 ROBREDO - Consecutive aces from Wawrinka help him on his way to another very comfortable service game albeit with the loss of the one point, thnks to an double fault. Robredo will have to serve to stay in the set next.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 4-3 ROBREDO - Wawrinka exchanges cross court forehands with Robredo before making it look easy to produce the change-of-direction forehand winner down the line to go 0-30 up against the Robredo serve. The Spaniard recovers to level at 30-all but another injection of pace on an inside out forehand winner brings up another break point. Again Robredo saves it, with forehand winner of his own before going on to hold.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 4-2 ROBREDO - Ace number four, very quickly followed by ace number five helps Wawrinka post his second straight love service hold, sealing hte game with a kick serve out wide followed by a shoulder-height forehand volley winner in the opposite direction.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 3-2 ROBREDO - Wawrinka runs around the ball and whips a forehand down the line to level up at 30-all before a brutal forehand return right at Robredo draws the error from the Spaniard. Break point Wawrinka. Robredo saves this one with a much better body serve before going on to hold, at his second attempt with a length forehand that Wawrinka can only return long. An important hold for Robredo there.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 3-1 ROBREDO - Some huge hitting from Wawrinka again as he posts his third love service hold of the match already. Robredo simply seems unable to deal with his opponents weight of serve and sends consecutive forehands long to end the game.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 2-1 ROBREDO - Wawrinka ghosts into the net and dinks a beautiful stop volley winner to sneak ahead at 15-30. Robredo manages to level somehow before setting up a game point and then another game point with a single-handed bakhand of his own. And a netted forehnad from Wawrinka sees the game end in Robredo's favour.
- - WAWRINKA 6-3 2-0 ROBREDO - Wawrinka sends a forehand long to squander a first game point but he consodlidates the break with a second ace in the game, a bullet of a shot directly down the centre of the court
- - BREAK - WAWRINKA 6-3 1-0 ROBREDO - Robredo is moving and leaning backwards, due to the sheer weight of Wawrinka's shot and it results in a forehand long to gift the Swiss player two break points. Only one is needed though as Wawrinka deals with everything Robredo throws at him before deciding enough is enough and slapping a forehand winner down the line.
- - SET - WAWRINKA 6-3 ROBREDO - Wawrinka seems to have just an extra weight of shot at the moment and whips a cross court forehand over the net for a winner to bring up three set points. But he only needs the one, flicking an angled bakchand winner across court to wrap up the first set in exactly 30 minutes.
- - WAWRINKA 5-3 ROBREDO - A calm and straightforward game for Robredo in the end despite Wawrinka unleashing one of his trademakr one-handed backhand winners. The Spaniard still trails by a break though and Wawrinka will have the chance to serve out the first set, next.
- - WAWRINKA 5-2 ROBREDO - Despite the Swiss seed producing an ace in the middle of the match, he is still forced to save break points to maintain his advantage. Robredo fails to land a forehand on break point though and Wawrinka goes on to hold and leave the Spaniard serving to stay in the opening set.
- - WAWRINKA 4-2 ROBREDO - Despite being 32-years-old Robredo is still one of the fastest guys around the court and easily gets up to the drop shot from Wawrinka and flick the ball back on the half-volley to stop the run of games against him.
- - WAWRINKA 4-1 ROBREDO - Wawrinka does well with an awkward, inside-out smash across court to bring up two game points to consolidate the hold. He only needs the one thoug and this is a little one-sided in the early stages.
- - BREAK - WAWRINKA 3-1 ROBREDO - A blistering single-handed Wawrink backhand passing shot goes for a winner down the line to earn himself three early break points. The first goes begging when he fails to land another backhand but he does break at the second attempt with a forehand winner down the line but with a big margin for error. The world number seven has the early initiative
- - WAWRINKA 2-1 ROBREDO - Ouch. A double fault and a forehand error to open the game doesn't exactly make things easy for the Swiss player as he is forced to fight back from 0-30 down before he can hold. But hold he does, from deuce, with a forehand winner down the line.
- - WAWRINKA 1-1 ROBREDO - Robredo also looks like he is cruising towards a love service hold to open his account before a couple of errors see Wawrinka apply the pressure. But the Spaniard hits back and holds without having to face a break point when Wawrinka fails to land a backhand.
- - WAWRINKA 1-0 ROBREDO - Two forehand winners and a trip into the net for a backhand volley winner help Wawrinka on his way to a love service hold to open the match
- - Here we got then, the players are jsut about ready to go and it will be Wawrinka to get the clash underway by serving first ...
- - STATS - There's a surprising head-to-head record between these two players with Robredo, the lower-ranked of the two, leading by six wins to just the one loss. That's including two victories last year to the Spaniard's name.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the final match from day seven at the 2014 Australian Open. It's eighth seed Stanislas Wawrinka against 17th seed Tommy Robredo for a place in the quarter-finals at Melbourne Park.
|Date of Birth||28/03/1985|
|Date of Birth||01/05/1982|