No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 7-5 ISTOMIN - He's done it. Nole progresses into the fourth round without dropping a set. Istomin played his part, but is just another stepping stone for the Serbian on his way (hopefully) to a third consecutive crown at the Australian Open.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 6-5 ISTOMIN - The mark of a champion; Djokovic breaks back instantly to give himself another chance of serving out the match.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 5-5 ISTOMIN - Would you believe it? Nole sends down his first double fault of the match to hand Istomin his first break point of the match. He takes it. We're level.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 5-4 ISTOMIN - Well, he can't do much more than that. Istomin holds to love in what will surely be his last service game.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 5-3 ISTOMIN - Nole closes out his service game with consummate ease, not allowing Istomin a single point. The Uzbek will now serve to stay in the match.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 4-3 ISTOMIN - Istomin races into a 30-0 lead as Djokovic sends a backhand wide. Istomin gets the better of the baseline rallies this game as he forces Djokovic long again but a smart return from the Serb’s on Istomin’s second serve cuts the arrears but he then again goes long to giveb the Uzbek the game.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 4-2 ISTOMIN - Easy hold for Nole, who is on his way to seeing out this match and advancing into the fourth round. Istomin helpless as the Serb serves his way to a love hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 3-2 ISTOMIN - Istomin plays the game of his life, holding to love. The Uzbek pulls off two incredible passing shots on the run - one on the forehand and the other on the backhand. He's enjoying himself and Nole acknowledges his good work, too.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 3-1 ISTOMIN - Nole consolidates that early break, but, again, does make a meal of it. He just can't put the ball away. The Becker-inspired net approach makes another couple of appearances as he holds to 30.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 2-1 ISTOMIN - The reigning champion is turning the screw now. He needs a few bites at the cherry, with Istomin standing firm for as long as he can, but secures the break of serve eventually.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 1-1 ISTOMIN - Djokovic is cruising now. The Serb is able to put on a bit of a show for the crowd; hitting huge winners from the baseline mixed with a delicate drop-volley.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 0-1 ISTOMIN - Istomin isn't giving up the ghost just yet... The Uzbek serves with confidence and intent to hold to love. It's only just a matter of time, but he's sticking in there!
- - SET - DJOKOVIC 6-3 6-3 ISTOMIN - The second seed races to 40-0, earning three set points. He only needs the one, though, sending Istomin out wide on the serve before putting the ball away on the deuce court. The Serb surely on his way now...
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 5-3 ISTOMIN - Istomin does what is asked of him - serves out his game. He does so with confidence and vigour, forcing the Serb to serve for the second set.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 5-2 ISTOMIN - The Becker influence is becoming more apparent. The serve-volleying aspect and willingness to come into the net is clearly down to Nole's new coach. The Serb advances forward on three of the five points, holding to 15. Istomin will need to serve to stay in this second set.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 4-2 ISTOMIN - Istomin races to 40-0 courtesy of some huge serves, but Nole fights back with two booming winners from the baseline. Those are the only two points he is afforded, though, as Istomin serve-volleys to hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 4-1 ISTOMIN - Despite the break to love on Istomin's serve, Nole continue to struggle putting the ball away. The Uzbek gets to 15-30, but then makes a couple of errors before Nole consolidates the break with a delightful drop-shot.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 6-3 3-1 ISTOMIN - Much better from Nole, who gives it the fist-pump and "come on" as he looks towards coach Boris Becker. The Serb breaks his opponent to love and gains the advantage early on in this second set.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 2-1 ISTOMIN - Djokovic is visibly irritated - one can only assume it is with himself. He's struggling to put Istomin away, despite having a number of opportunities to do so. Nole eventually holds, but the Uzbek is not sticking in there.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 1-1 ISTOMIN - Big serving from the Uzbek. Nole guesses right each time, but struggles to make contact, never mind keep the ball in play. We're level at the start of this second set.
- - DJOKOVIC 6-3 1-0 ISTOMIN - Djoko holds, but not without his troubles. The second seed is guilty of a couple of unforced errors on the forehand, but digs in to for a hold to 30. Istomin clutches at his left thigh as the two cross for the changeover.
- - SET - DJOKOVIC 6-3 ISTOMIN - Istomin comes out swinging as he tries to stay in the set, racing to 30-0 with some fierce hitting - a forehand winner that Nole applauds the pick of the bunch. But Djoko comes roaring back, taking four successive points to break his opponent and wrap up the set.
- - DJOKOVIC 5-3 ISTOMIN - Nole ends a run of 12 successive points on his serve with a couple of wayward forehands. The two then enter an exchange that has them both scurrying across the baseline before Djoko takes charge and sends a cross-court forehand ripping past the Uzbek. A second ace of the match seals the hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-3 ISTOMIN - Istomin's serve is keeping him in this tie. The world No. 119 sends down another four booming serves that seal a hold to 15. When the ball is kept in court, understandably, Djoko is dictating play and winning the majority of rallies.
- - DJOKOVIC 4-2 ISTOMIN - The world No. 2 is in no frame of mind to be messing around. He's racing through his service games, taking no prisoners and again secures a hold to love. This is becoming a bit of a masterclass.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-2 ISTOMIN - Much better service game from Istomin, who forgets about his disastrous last outing to hold to love.
- - DJOKOVIC 3-1 ISTOMIN - The reigning champion secures a love game to stamp his authority on this match after just 12 minutes. Nole has opted to serve-volley on a number of occasions already this morning.
- - BREAK - DJOKOVIC 2-1 ISTOMIN - Istomin sends down a double-fault on the opening point of the serve, and that sets the tone for the rest of the game. Djoko stays with the unseeded Uzbeki, forcing him around the court and pressurising him into mistake after mistake. Istomin's inside-out backhand drops wide to gift the Serb the break.
- - DJOKOVIC 1-1 ISTOMIN - An expectedly confident start by Djokovic, who mixes it up on serve; going out wide and down the middle before serve-volleying to seal the hold.
- - DJOKOVIC 0-1 ISTOMIN - Great start from Istomin, who serves accurately to race into a 40-0 lead. Nole sends a fierce forehand winner down the line that sails past the Uzbeki, but that's the only point the world No. 2 can muster.
- - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage of the day's final match on the Rod Laver Arena. World No. 2 and reigning champion Novak Djokovic taes on Uzbekistan's Denis Istomin.
|Date of Birth||07/09/1986|
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|