No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET & MATCH! NADAL 6-2 6-2 6-3 THIEM - Nadal makes short work of his service game to clinch the match to 15. It was a brave performance by the Austrian young gun and he certainly has a bright future, but it's Rafa who marches into round three. The dream of five straight titles remains intact.
- - BREAK! NADAL 6-2 6-2 5-3 THIEM - A third double fault of the match for Thiem hands the break to Nadal at 30-40. It means the Spaniard will now serve for a place in round three. The Austrian has battled bravely and hit some memorable winners, but in the end Rafa's relentless brilliance has been too much it seems.
- - NADAL 6-2 6-2 4-3 THIEM - They reckon a picture is worth a 1000 words and after Thiem whips a single-handed backhand into the net, the hands on hips and dismayed expression on his face say it all. The misfire allows Nadal to take command of the game and see it out to 15. The Spaniard has had a mini wobble but he's back on track now.
- - BREAK! NADAL 6-2 6-2 3-3 THIEM - At 15-15 Thiem dominates the rally but fires his attempted winner just wide of the line with Nadal nowhere to be seen. It starts the rot that sees Nadal break back. At 30-30 the Spaniard wins the point of the match at the net before a wild swing from the youngster gifts the reigning champion the break.
- - NADAL 6-2 6-2 2-3 THIEM - A comfortable hold for Nadal who has suffered a bit of a lull in this third set. Thiem still has the break to his advantage and is playing with real verve and determination now. Can he nick this set and make things interesting? It's still a big ask against the King of Clay.
- - NADAL 6-2 6-2 1-3 THIEM - Both players are left shaking their heads in a game rife with miscues and errors. Nadal has his chances with two break points but Thiem's aggressive style somehow gets him out of trouble with a barrage of thumping shots to his opponent's backhand. A stunning angled drop shot finally gives the Austrian the advantage and he consolidates his break when the world number one flashes a shot down the line into the net.
- - BREAK! NADAL 6-2 6-2 1-2 THIEM - The Dominator finds some of his mojo to pile pressure on the Nadal serve at 30-40. Rafa attempts to up his game but on this occasion he has no answer and fires tamely into the net to give the Austrian a much-needed lift.
- - NADAL 6-2 6-2 1-1 THIEM - Well played Thiem. The Austrian takes his tally of forehand winners into double figures as he hits back from 0-30 to take the game with four straight points. A punishing rally concludes the game with the young pretender fizzing another forehand into the corner with Nadal well beaten.
- - NADAL 6-2 6-2 1-0 THIEM - Rafa takes full advantage of the new balls and has Thiem scurrying from side to side as he romps into a 40-0 lead. The Austrian hits back but after working his way into a good position at the net, he blocks Nadal's probing cross court attempt long.
- - SET! NADAL 6-2 6-2 THIEM - Rafa's know-how and innate ability is proving too good as he secures the break and the second set. A sensational point at 0-30 sees him win the battle of the drop shots and the sprints to the net and he eventually claims the game on the second of three break points.
- - NADAL 6-2 5-2 THIEM - There have been some bruising rallies in this contest and Thiem has come out of them with real credit. At 30-30 he works himself into a good position but then fires long. A yell of frustration sums it up for the Austrian and his anguish is compounded when Nadal's wide serve and cushioned volley routine seals the game.
- - NADAL 6-2 4-2 THIEM - The man nicknamed 'the Dominator' has already shown he can hit a winner or two and this time his service game comes together nicely as Nadal fires a return long at 40-0. Thiem may not win this encounter but he'll go away with some real positives to work on.
- - NADAL 6-2 4-1 THIEM - Rafa surges into a 40-0 lead as Thiem struggles to overcome the frustration of losing his own service game. A rare Nadal blip at the net offers the Austrian hope and he unleashes a rasping crosscourt winner to make things interesting. Unfortunately, it merely serves to anger the Spaniard, who steers a probing shot down the left-hand line to consolidate the break.
- - BREAK! NADAL 6-2 3-1 THIEM - How often do the top players follow up a close call on their serve by breaking in the next game? It's happened again here, as Rafa shrugs off one stunning winner from Thiem to take the game to 15. The Austrian shakes his head in a mixture of anger and dismay. After battling so hard, it looks like he's facing more disappointment in this set.
- - NADAL 6-2 2-1 THIEM - Thiem unleashes another superb backhand winner to level at 30-30 and he will at the very least go away with a video montage of shots where he left the world number one rooted to the spot. He follows it up with another rasping backhand down the line to claim a break point but Nadal forces deuce with some astute play at the net. The Spaniard then holds firm, serving wide and then executing an angled drop shot at the net to take the game.
- - NADAL 6-2 1-1 THIEM - To his credit, the Austrian keeps going for his shots and when they drop in they are a sight to behold. Rafa is known for his relentless accuracy but in this game it goes awry as he fires two wide to leave Thiem to fire down an ace and take the game to 15.
- - NADAL 6-2 1-0 THIEM - Another wild swing from the baseline drops wide from Thiem as Rafa eases to an opening service game to love in this second set. It's an uphill battle from here for the 20-year-old starlet.
- - SET! NADAL 6-2 THIEM - The fight back ends prematurely as Rafa immediately breaks back to take the set in 42 minutes. A sensational dropshot from the baseline puts the defending champion 15-30 up before an unlucky net cord and a double fault from Thiem clinch it.
- - BREAK! NADAL 5-2 THIEM - Stunning stuff from Thiem. Rafa looks odds-on to seal the set at 30-0 and 40-30, but the Austrian kept going for his shots and got his reward. A stunning lob followed by a backhand volley at the net and a brace of explosive forehands claims a break back.
- - BREAK! NADAL 5-1 THIEM - No sign of a shock at the moment! Poor control on a volley at the net and a wild backhand passing shot leave Thiem with it all to do at 0-30. A double fault compounds a nervy service game, allowing Nadal to slam a stunning forehand winner on the run down the line to seal a double break.
- - NADAL 4-1 THIEM - An emphatic overhead smash followed by an inaccurate cross court return from Thiem sees the world number one hold to love.
- - NADAL 3-1 THIEM - The Austrian gets himself on the board with a delightful sliced drop shot the pick of the points as he holds to 30. An important game psychologically for the young hopeful.
- - NADAL 3-0 THIEM - A wide serve and volley play tees up Nadal for a 40-15 lead and he consolidates his break when Thiem hooks a shot into the net from the baseline. Just 17 minutes in and despite making a good impression, the Austrian finds himself well and truly up against it.
- - BREAK! NADAL 2-0 THIEM - We've already witnessed some brutal rallies and Thiem has matched Rafa with a repertoire of stunning shots. A delicate drop volley puts him 30-15 up, but there is a reason why Nadal has been so dominant here over the years and he steps up a gear to force the youngster into a couple of simple errors before claiming the break when Thiem fired long.
- - NADAL 1-0 THIEM - A superb opening game for Thiem as he goes so close to securing the dream start. The 20-year-old illustrates just why he is being touted as having a big future in the game by pushing the reigning champion all the way. At 40-30 he unleashes a stunning winner that leaves Nadal stranded at the baseline and then hits another one that has the crowd on their feet. At break point, Nadal's resilience pays off and he digs deep in two super-charged rallies to turn it around and hold.
- - Nadal has just scurried off court for a quick bathroom break. Thiem nonchalantly swigs a bottle of water.... Rafa's now back and it's show time. Nadal to serve.
- - The players are out on court and completing the formalities of the warm-up.
- - DID YOU KNOW? Thiem reached the final of the 2011 boy's French Open and showed just how much of a danger he could be today by defeating Australian Open champion, Stan Wawrinka in Madrid earlier this year.
- - This will be the first time Nadal and Thiem have locked horns and the world number one is well aware he cannot afford any hint of complacency. He said: "I have heard very, very good things about him,” said Nadal. “I didn’t see him play, but I know he’s a young player and he’s a very dangerous opponent.”
- - STAT: Rafa has won 8 of the last 9 French Open titles and is aiming to become the first ever player to win the French Open title FIVE straight times.
- - Speaking after his first round success over Ginepri, Nadal said: “I won this round, but it was a bit difficult because of the weather. It was very important for me, because it gave me the opportunity of having two days break so that I can practise. That’s always positive. When you win, you’re always happy. Of course, as always, I had ups and downs, and I could have played being a bit more aggressive.”
- - As for Thiem, the 20-year-old is revelling in playing in what is only his second major tournament. The youngster reached round two of the Australian Open back in January and has repeated that feat courtesy of an impressive 6-4 7-6(3) 6-2 success over Paul-Henri Mathieu.
- - Nadal surged through his first-round match with a 6-0 6-3 6-0 win against Robby Ginepri.
- - Good morning and welcome to live updates of defending champion Rafael Nadal's clash with Austrian hopeful Dominic Thiem. The two players are due out on court shortly.
|Date of Birth||03/06/1986|
|Date of Birth||03/09/1993|