No comments yet - Leave a comment
|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - So Novak Djokovic's challenge for the only Grand Slam to evade him so far continues. He is through to the semi-finals where he will face 18th seed Ernests Gulbis, who continued his giant-killing ways with a comfortable win over Tomas Berdych, world number eight, just a few moments ago.
- - GAME, SET & MATCH! Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 4-6 Djokovic. The Serb drops the first point of the game on a backhand error to murmurs around the crowd at the possibiility that Djokovic has completely lost his rhythm. But this time he quickly rebounds with three much better points to bring up a couple of match points. The world number two only needs the one though, sealing the game when a Raonic forehand goes wide down the line.
- - Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 4-5 Djokovic. Raonic races through a love service hold to put another game on the board and apply some pressure to the world number two as he prepares to serve for the match for a second time. Can he hold on this time or does Raonic still have some more tricks left up his sleeve?
- - BREAK! Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 3-5 Djokovic. The Serb finds himself 0-30 down on serve before getting a point on the board with a big serve and forehand drive volley that Raonic can only return wide. Djokovic levels a 30-all but then slaps down a double fault to hand Raonic a break back point. His backhand on the next point catches the top of the tape before failing to go over and Raonic does get one of the breaks back!
- - Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 2-5 Djokovic. A brilliant block return from Djokovic sends the ball right back where it came from and right into the corner for a winner to open up the game. Raonic manages to find one more ace before going on to hold and at least force Djokovic to serve the match out, when he slaps a forehand winner across court having read the Serb's drop shot this time.
- - Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 1-5 Djokovic. Another great backhand drop shot and off-forehand passing shot winner from Djokovic opens the game, which he again seals to love to leave Raonic serving to keep this match alive.
- - Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 1-4 Djokovic. Almost everything is going Djokovic's way now as his mis-hit forehand goes for a winner down the line. A backhand winner down the line a couple of points later helps him take the lead again in the game. But both times Raonic levels up before going on to hold with back-to-back aces to, at least, get a game on the board in what will surely be the final set of this match.
- - Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 0-4 Djokovic. As the clocks ticks over to exactly two hours, Djokovic produces a forehand winner to open what will turn into another love service hold, sealed with a sliced backhand drop shot that Raonic can only net on his slide into the forehand. It's two sets and a double break lead to the second seed now as he marches on towards the semi-finals.
- - BREAK! Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 0-3 Djokovic. The world number two is hitting very freely now as he drags Raonic up to the net with a cheeky drop shot and following it up, a couple of shots later, with an equally cheeky cross court forehand passing shot winner. It brings up two more break points and, although the first goes begging when the Serb just fails to get his forehand pick-up over the net, he does secure the double break on the second when Raonic nets a tame backhand.
- - Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 0-2 Djokovic. Raonic pushes Djokovic to deuce, for only the second time in the match, to apply some pressure to the Serb's serve. But he goes wide with a backhand across court before netting another backhand and the world number two has the hold that consolidates his early break in this third set.
- - BREAK! Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) 0-1 Djokovic. Raonic tries to run round the ball to play a forehand but decides just a little too late that he won't make it and instead plays no shot at all. A backhand drop shot and then a backhand winner drilled down the line help Djokovic bring up three early break points. Raonic saves the first and third with aces while the second goes begging on a Djokovic error. But the Serb gets a fourth chance and this time Raonic mis-hits a forehand long to concede the break.
- - SET! Raonic 5-7 6-7(5) Djokovic. The first set point, on the Raonic serve, goes begging after an increasingly low backland slice exchange that eventually ends in Djokovic netting his shot. But the Serb does wrap up the two sets to love lead at the second attempt, going for the kicker serve out wide and drawing the backhand return error from Raonic.
- - TIE-BREAK! Raonic 5-7 6-6 (4-6) Djokovic. The backhand down the line does the damage for Djokovic as Raonic is completely unprepared for it and slices his backhand reply into the net. It's the first mini-break to the Serb. Raonic immediately gets it back with a brutal forehand but Djokovic again takes the initiative with a forehand of his own that earns him two set points.
- - TIE-BREAK! Raonic 5-7 6-6 (3-3) Djokovic. No breaks in the second set and no mini-breaks in the tie-break so far as the two players change ends with the scores still level. Serve continues to dominate as both players struggle to land potent returns and are fairly easily picked off in the resulting rally.
- - Raonic 5-7 6-6 Djokovic. Raonic opens up with a couple of huge serves, neither of which Djokovic can return in play before letting Djokovic right back in with a couple of errors. But the Canadian responds with a couple of much better points and holds to force the breaker!
- - Raonic 5-7 5-6 Djokovic. A second love game goes the way of Djokovic, as Raonic fails to land his forehand return in play. Can the Canadian hold again to force the tie-break or will Djokovic secure a repeat of the first set and break in the 12th game?
- - Raonic 5-7 5-5 Djokovic. Two double faults in the game do not exactly help Raonic's cause but he manages to get away with it when he finds a couple of big serves that put Djokovic on the back foot in the rally. It's all square once again in this second set.
- - Raonic 5-7 4-5 Djokovic. The world number two leaves himself potentially just a game away from a two sets to love lead as he holds (to 15) with a looping backhand passing shot fed down the line. Raonic will have to serve to stay in this second set.
- - Raonic 5-7 4-4 Djokovic. Back-to-back aces from Raonic to start the game, quickly followed by a big serve down the centre of the court and a backhand volley winner help Raonic out to a very comfortable hold, which he seals with his third ace of the game.
- - Raonic 5-7 3-4 Djokovic. Frustration is beginning to bubble up again for the Serb as he drops the first point behind his serve with a forehand error. But he quickly makes amends with four straight points to seal the game without any more drama.
- - Raonic 5-7 3-3 Djokovic. A kicker of a serve from Raonic helps him hold to level up once again and leaves Djokovic shaking his head in frustration after netting a follow-up backhand.
- - Raonic 5-7 2-3 Djokovic. A slower but very well placed serve out into the corner from Djokovic stumps Raonic as he mis-times his sliced backhand return and puts the ball into the bottom of the net. It hands the Serb another hold, albeit this time slightly less comfortably from 30-all, as he sneaks ahead once again in this second set.
- - Raonic 5-7 2-2 Djokovic. Raonic's turn to enjoy his first love service game of the match as he thumps down another series of huge serves. The Canadian is averaging a speed of 182kph per serve, exactly 10kph faster that Djokovic.
- - Raonic 5-7 1-2 Djokovic. A business-like backhand winner down the line from Djokovic seals another straightforward hold of serve for the Serb, who is looking increasingly comfortable in that department. He marches back to the chair to prepare for another Raonic service game.
- - Raonic 5-7 1-1 Djokovic. The Serb gestures to himself once more after missing the baseline with a looping defensive forehand and allowing Raonic to level at 30-all. Some nice variation with the serve, sending it out wide to force the return error from the Serb, brings up a game point for Raonic before an eighth ace stops the run of games against the Canadian.
- - Raonic 5-7 0-1 Djokovic. Djokovic races through the easiest service game of the match, for either player, as he cracks out a hold to love to maintain his hard-fought momentum from the end of that first set. The Serb seems much calmer now that he has that set under his belt.
- - SET! Raonic 5-7 Djokovic. A third double quickly followed by a fourth from Raonic puts him under a bit of pressure at 30-all. He quickly misses yet another first serve, gifting Djokovic a look at a second serve, the Serb taking full advantage with a backhand winner down the line after a series of cross court forehands. It's another set point for the Serb and this time he takes full advantage, finding a dipping cross court backhand that Raonic can only volley back wide. Djokovic has the set.
- - Raonic 5-6 Djokovic. The Serb mixes things up with a beautifully sliced backhand drop shot winner that catches Raonic so unawares that the Canadian barely even bothers to run for it. Scoreboard pressure on Raonic once again as he prepares to serve to stay in the set for a second time.
- - Raonic 5-5 Djokovic. Both men enjoying a lot of success when they come up to the net, Djokovic has won 100 per cent of points, and Raonic 70 per cent. Djokovic pushes Raonic back behind the baselinen and earns himself a first set point when the Canadian nets a forehand. Another big serve gets Raonic out of trouble though, causing Djokovic to give himself a good talking to while Raonic gets on with securing the game.
- - Raonic 4-5 Djokovic. The world number two regains his composure on serve with a much more comfortable hold to 15 this time around, a big serve doing the damage as Raonic fails to put his return in play. The Canadian will have to serve to stay in this opening set, after the change of ends.
- - Raonic 4-4 Djokovic. Raonic just marginally misses a cross court forehand, the ball landing ever so marginally wide, to allow Djokovic to level up at 30-all. But the Serb is left shaking his head after the next point when he fails to put his forehand return back into play and the Canadian takes the opportunity to boom down another big serve and forehand drive volley winner combo to hold once again.
- - Raonic 3-4 Djokovic. Three horrible points in a row for Djokovic end in three errors as he hands Raonic his first break point. The Serb saves it with a much better serve that Raonic cannot return in play. A scintilating cross court backhand passing shot winner from the world number two is a much better point and he secures a hold on the next point.
- - Raonic 3-3 Djokovic. The first break point of the match goes to Djokovic as Raonic sends an overhit forehand comfortably long down the line. He manages to save it, though, with a trip up into the net and a forehand winner across court after a massive before going on to hold with another big serve and forehand winner combo.
- - Raonic 2-3 Djokovic. The Serb does great work at the back of the court as Raonic first fails to put a lob away before also allowing Djokovic just enough room to get to a smash. But the Canadian does finally win the point with a backhand volley winner down the line to put some life into the so far subdued crowd. The world number two recovers though as he goes on to hold with his fourth ace.
- - Raonic 2-2 Djokovic. A much tougher service game for Raonic this time around as Djokovic sneaks ahead 15-30. Ace, double fault, ace from Raonic sees the scores first tied at deuce and then hand the Canadian a game point. Which he then seals with another big serve that Djokovic can only return wide.
- - Raonic 1-2 Djokovic. Not many rallies so far between the two as Djokovic again cruises through a service hold in double-quick time, producing a third ace in the process.
- - Raonic 1-1 Djokovic. The Canadian matches Djokovic's two aces with two of his own as he also posts a very comfortable opening hold.
- - Raonic 0-1 Djokovic. Just the two aces from Djokovic in the opening game! The Serb cruises through the opening game, sealing it with a big serve that Raonic can only return into the net.
16:41 - There's quite a lot of cloud around and some rain potentially forecast but so far the rain is staying away and Djokovic and Raonic are just about ready to get underway with the world number two preparing to serve first...
16:33 - These two have faced each other only twice before with Djokovic winning both of those previous. Both happened on clay as well, in the Davis Cup lsat year in Serbia and then again just a couple of weeks ago in the Rome semi-finals. On that occassion, Raonic took the first set on a tie-break before Djokovic took the second, also on a breaker, and the third with just the one break.
16:29 - Hello and welcome to LIVE coverage from the first of the men's quarter-finals between world number two Novak Djokovic and Canadian ninth seed Milos Raonic.
|Date of Birth||27/12/1990|
|Date of Birth||22/05/1987|