|Nationality||Player||Set 1||Set 2||Set 3||Set 4||Set 5|
- - GAME, SET AND MATCH! - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 6-3 MULLER - The Swiss Maestro rolls back the years with a magnificent display, finishing off with another love game including a trio of aces that takes his match tally to 25. Federer, who dropped just nine points on serve in the entire clash, will now face either Marcel Granollers or Santiago Giraldo in round three.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 5-3 MULLER - The world 103 shrugs off a couple of sensational returns from Federer to keep the scoreline respectable in what will surely be the final set of this contest. Some superb play at the net clinches the game as he has Federer chasing shadows for possibly the only time in the encounter.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 5-2 MULLER - That fat lady has been warming up just down the way and is ready to sing a farewell tune for Muller as Federer waltzes through with a bewitching array of serves that have kept his opponent guessing all evening. The big Bourger will now serve to stay in it.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 4-2 MULLER - The Luxembourger looks a beaten man and a weak volley on the stretch is gobbled up by Federer to put him under more pressure. He replies with a much firmer volley to level and then relies upon his big weapon to land a searing first serve and then an ace. Low confidence sees him fail with an overhead and he then fires a simple forehand wide before another ace keeps him just the one break behind.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 4-1 MULLER - The fourth seed is made to work a bit more to consolidate but he does just that, nonchalantly thumping home an overhead to take it to 30. It's all over bar the shouting in this one.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 3-1 MULLER - BREAK! The Luxembourger finds himself staring down the barrel at 0-30 but responds with more thumping serves and a fizzing baseliner clipper that leaves Federer floundering. The Swiss hits back for deuce and the duo exchange some clever points before that sizzling Fed backhand that did the damage to help seal the second set tees up another break point. The Swiss Maestro is determined to make it count but in the end does nothing as a double fault gives him a game that will surely see him wrap this up very shortly.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 2-1 MULLER - Finally, a service game where Federer is forced to answer a couple of questions. Muller takes only a fifth and sixth point on the Fed serve in this contest, the latter a lovely crosscourt winner on the run after a rare rally of real quality. But in the end, it's in vain as Federer pulls out a big serve to claim it to 30.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 1-1 MULLER - Gilles is on the board, but he's forced to work extremely hard by a buoyant Federer who takes him to deuce. Two bullet serves get the challenger out of a hole after Roger went for the jugular, combining great defence with some well-timed returns.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 1-0 MULLER - It's one-way traffic as Muller finds himself trailing within seconds of the start of this third set as Federer rattles through to take another game to love. Muller had barely had time to clear his head from the disappointment of missing out on a tie break, but needs to respond quickly if he's to stop Fed pulling away now.
- - FEDERER 6-3 7-5 MULLER - SET! Awesome. Federer pulls the trigger on a single-handed crosscourt backhand at deuce to notch up set point and light up the crowd. A volley from Muller is called out but is shown to be in on a challenge which means the man from Luxembourg has a reprieve, but it's a very short one. Another well-timed return has Muller in trouble and he can only fire a crosscourt attempt into the net.
- - FEDERER 6-3 6-5 MULLER - We're at the business end of this set now and Federer's serve continues to work with mesmerising consistency. Muller gets nowhere near it and is now serving to force a tie break.
- - FEDERER 6-3 5-5 MULLER - The Swiss gets within shouting distance of a potential break/set point at 30-30 but is then undone by some superb play by Muller. A shot down the line proves just too good and Federer is left clawing at thin air again seconds later when a clever volley at the net bounces out of reach.
- - FEDERER 6-3 5-4 MULLER - The roof isn't affecting the dominance of the serve as Federer launches ace 14 and 15 to sprint through another easy game.
- - FEDERER 6-3 4-4 MULLER - The first indoor match of this championship goes the way of Muller. The Swiss has a rusty moment as he flashes a shot into the net at 0-15. It allows Muller back in and another Fed backhand smashes the net before Muller wraps it up with a sizzling first serve Federer can only jab at.
19.38 - Here we go then, Federer a set up and 4-3 ahead in the second. Muller serving...
19.35 - The two players are warming up (again) and we will be back underway very shortly. This match will conclude tonight.
19.32 - The roof has closed, the temperature is right and the players are heading back onto court.
19.15 - It's roof time! Stay logged on, more tennis is imminent in the next 10-15 minutes or so.
19.14 - The net is coming down, the cover is over and the players are heading off court.
- - Discussions taking place with the tournament referee. The rain is on its way and it looks like it's time for the roof. The players are sat back down and we are playing a waiting game now as the officials deliberate.
- - FEDERER 6-3 4-3 MULLER - That's a bit more interesting. A rally opens the game with Federer unleashing a cracking backhand to take the point. Muller hits back by forcing a miscue from the Swiss before the big serving takes centre stage once more and the number four seed has another easy hold.
- - FEDERER 6-3 3-3 MULLER - More big serving, more cheap points and another easy hold to love. If Muller could add a bit more to his returning game he'd have a real chance of pushing for the top 50 in the world.
- - FEDERER 6-3 3-2 MULLER - A rare rally sees Muller whip a beauty down the line but it's not enough to get anywhere near the Fed who fizzes down a couple of big serves to take it to 15. It's hard to get too excited by this at the moment. It's a bit of a serving masterclass at times, with games simply flying by.
- - FEDERER 6-3 2-2 MULLER - It's a bit like a time warp back to the Sampras and Ivanisevic era. The serves are all dominant and Muller pings down a quartet of belters to level.
- - FEDERER 6- 3 2-1 MULLER - A ridiculously quick game for the Swiss who is matching his opponent for big-hitting. It's another hold to love with very little sign of any rallies to get the crowd excited.
- - FEDERER 6- 3 1-1 MULLER - Big ace number eight secures an important hold to 30 for Muller who must be wondering what has hit him so far. The man from Luxembourg is fine if he lands a belting first serve, but whenever he's forced to play he's been found wanting.
- - FEDERER 6- 3 1-0 MULLER - It's just far too easy for Federer. Unless Muller can adjust his game-plan this is going to be over all too soon. A graceful ace down the middle is the most eye-catching point as he allows his opponent one back before closing it out.
- - FEDERER 6- 3 MULLER - SET! Roger must want to watch some more of the World Cup because he's rattling through this. A sliced crosscourt backhand lands two break points and Muller follows an ace with a complete misfire off his racket to hand the set to Federer inside half an hour.
- - FEDERER 5- 3 MULLER - The Swiss Maestro has got his own weapon of a serve and lashes down another ace to seal a love game. The first set is creeping to an inevitable conclusion. It's early days, but on this form Federer could well be on for another Wimbledon crown. There's just something about his play this year.
- - FEDERER 4- 3 MULLER - Gilles ensures he trails by just the one break with some more big serving, but whenever he allows Federer an opportunity he gets punished. A weak lob is a case in point at 40-15 as the Swiss despatches it with a dismissive overhead. However, that serve digs Muller out of a jam once more and he manages to get back to his chair with a hold.
- - FEDERER 4- 2 MULLER - An early warning shot from Muller proves a false alarm as the Swiss eases through another service game to 15 with a combination of big first serves and typical finesse. It's all going to plan so far for the fourth seed.
- - FEDERER 3- 2 MULLER - BREAK! Another ace looks to have Muller in control at 30-0 but he finally allows Federer a nibble and before he knows it, it's break point. It's largely down to two complete miscues by the world 103 who is then left at the mercy of the Swiss' backhand and can only stab a defensive volley into the net.
- - FEDERER 2- 2 MULLER - It's case of who is going to blink first with these service games! Federer is helped by a glaring miss from Muller when a crosscourt winner looked odds-on, but then sees out another flawless game with an ace.
- - FEDERER 1- 2 MULLER - No nerves for Muller as he responds to Federer's impressive love service game by matching it. A thunderous serve down the line of the T can only be blocked back by the Swiss who watches on as it flies harmlessly beyond the baseline.
- - FEDERER 1- 1 MULLER - Routine stuff from Federer as he races into a 40-0 lead. A deep approach shot sees him charge into the net and when Muller scoops it just long, the Swiss strolls back to the baseline with a love game under his belt. Did he break sweat?
- - FEDERER 0- 1 MULLER - The man from Luxembourg recovers from an opening point double fault to ease through the next four. An ace and an angled overhead volley on the stretch that Federer can't quite hit the line in response to see him get off to a flyer.
18.28 - The players have finished their warm up amidst talk that the roof may well close shortly with the threat of rain. In the meantime, Muller serves first.
18.27 - Speaking prior to his impressive first round success, Federer was optimistic about his tournament hopes. He said: "I feel like I'm a contender for the tournament. I feel like if things click here, I should be able to win the tournament; whereas at Roland Garros I feel like I'm slightly more dependent on (Rafael Nadal). ... (When I play at Wimbledon) it's more on my racket. As soon as that's the case, you are more confident in your chances."
18.23 - HEAD-TO-HEAD: Federer has met Muller on three previous occasions, winning all three matches. The two players last locked horns at the quarter-finals of the 2008 US Open. Fed-Ex triumphed in three straight sets.
18.22 - Muller, ranked 103 in the world, also booked his centre court showdown with the seven-time champion thanks to a straight sets success over Frenchman Julien Benneteau.
18.20 - The Swiss Maestro breezed into round two courtesy of a 6-1 6-1 6-3 win over Italian Paolo Lorenzi.
18.18 - Roger Federer heads into this contest fresh from the euphoria of seeing Switzerland's football team reach the last 16 of the World Cup in Brazil. Prior to his country's 3-0 win over Honduras, he tweeted: "Playing tomorrow on Center Court @Wimbledon but first I am getting ready for Switzerland-Honduras all to play for!"
18.15 - Good evening and welcome to live coverage of seven-time champion Roger Federer's second round meeting with Gilles Muller of Luxembourg. The players are due for the warm-up on centre court imminently.
|Date of Birth||09/05/1983|
|Date of Birth||08/08/1981|