This drink is tequila's best friend
This drink is tequila's best friend
United’s rearranged fixture with Liverpool takes place on Thursday.
The 73-year-old’s deal is up at the end of the season but the ex-England manager does not want to hold renewal talks until the campaign is over.
The Foxes go to Manchester United having slipped to fourth.
LONDON (Reuters) -Fulham were relegated from the Premier League on Monday after goals from Ashley Westwood and Chris Wood gave Burnley a 2-0 win at Craven Cottage. The defeat left Fulham in 18th spot on 27 points, 10 behind Southampton with three games left to play, while Burnley rose from 17th to 14th on 39 points. Though a draw would have briefly staved off relegation, Fulham desperately needed to win and they started well, with Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa and Ivan Cavaleiro both registering shots on target that Nick Pope saved comfortably.
Ashley Westwood and Chris Wood scored the goals at Craven Cottage which condemned Scott Parker’s side to the drop.
Fulham relegated as Ashley Westwood and Chris Wood strike for Burnley
The Cottagers have been relegated from the Premier League after the 2-0 defeat at home to Burnley.
Johnson, whose Masters title defence ended in a missed cut last month, said his decision to sit out the May 13-16 AT&T Byron Nelson in McKinney, Texas, came after the knee discomfort he occasionally experiences returned. Johnson has competed twice on the PGA Tour since his unsuccessful Masters title defence, earning a share of 13th place at the following week's RBC Heritage followed by a tie for 48th at the Valspar Championship. The PGA Championship, which is the year's second major, is May 20-23 in Johnson's native South Carolina at Kiawah Island Resort's Ocean Course.
The sporting "Crown Jewels" of English summer are facing pressure to scale-up crowd numbers significantly after the Prime Minister insisted he was "very positive" about the end of social distancing. A leading public health scientist joined industry figures in calling for Wimbledon and Royal Ascot, in particular, to abandon their "excessively conservative" plans following Boris Johnson's upbeat assessment. While Twickenham and Wembley plan to be at least half full by July, Ascot next month could be restricted to just 4,000 racegoers - seven per cent of its normal numbers. The All England Club is also currently restricted to 25 per cent capacity, despite beginning a week after the Government is due to release most restrictions. As Government last night formally enacted plans for 10,000 spectators to return from Monday, Professor Robert Dingwall, a public health expert at Nottingham Trent University's School of Social Sciences, suggested Wimbledon should be planning for attendances of up to 70 per cent. Wimbledon should be planning for attendances of up to 70 per cent. Describing current plans in racing and tennis as "excessively conservative and inflexible", he told The Telegraph governing bodies should be feeling emboldened. "There is a broad scientific consensus that outdoors is as near zero risk as any scientist will ever commit to, unless spending any length of time in a very crowded space with restricted air movement," he added. "Given this, I would have thought that large outdoor sports venues could be considered on a case by case basis - there aren't so many of them. Where you have a high proportion of spectators in open spaces, which would apply to large areas of most racecourses or the outside courts at Wimbledon, I would have thought you could have a high proportion of normal capacity - maybe 60-70 per cent rather than 25 per cent." The All England Club has stated that it is flexible in its arrangements, and insiders believe bigger percentages for Centre Court and No1 are all-but-certain by the end of the fortnight. Organisers of Ascot and the Epsom Derby are also privately holding out hope that the British Horseracing Authority is able to improve on its announcement on Monday that only 4,000 people would be permitted from May 17, including owners, media and racing staff. "Ascot could probably hold 80,000 - 4,000 is so so small," said Sam Hoskins, a racehorse syndicate manager who runs both Kennet Valley Thoroughbreds and Hot To Trot Racing. "We need the authorities to see that one size does not fit all. I just hope some discretion can be used because a lot of these big racecourses are very safe places." The Premier League, meanwhile, continues to lobby hard for guarantees on full venues by the start of next season. Richard Masters, the league's chief executive, said 10,000 at the final two rounds of the campaign will "ensure a fantastic finale to the end of our season", but he added: "We will continue to work with the Government and other authorities as our priority is to have full vibrant stadiums – including away supporters - from the start of next season. Only then will we get back to the real Premier League." As stadiums finally got the green light to reopen in bigger numbers than have been seen for 14 months, the Big Six club owners stood accused of failing to learn lessons from the European Super League fiasco. Supporters drew a sharp distinction between Burnley, who are giving more than 3,000 tickets away for free, and Tottenham Hotspur, who have set a price band of £60 for their only home fixture against Aston Villa. Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters' Association, told The Telegraph: "In general terms, it doesn't surprise me that Burnley are doing something decent - and it doesn't surprise me that the greedy six might not be doing something decent. We would welcome any club that recognises the sacrifices that supporters have made along with everybody else." Rugby Union is also pushing hard to increase crowd numbers, with hopes that England fixtures against USA and Canada on July 4 and 10 will be watched by a half-full Twickenham. Government confirmation that the nation is on track in its roadmap out of lockdown confirmed plans first set out on February 22. “We’ll unlock the turnstiles of our sports stadia subject to capacity limits,” the PM confirmed. Significantly higher numbers of spectators are expected from June 21 onwards. "I'm optimistic that things will get back much closer to normality, let me put it like that," said Mr Johnson, when pressed for further detail. "You'll hear a lot more by the end of this month about exactly what the world after June 21 is going to look like. At the moment, I'm feeling very positive about it, but we've got to be guided by the data." Government crowd pilots continue on Saturday when 22,000 people attend the FA Cup final between Chelsea and Leicester at Wembley. It emerged that the Duke of Cambridge will be on hand to present the trophy to the winners. However, despite the upbeat assessment from scientists and politicians yesterday, only one in four people are planning on attending football matches or music gigs as soon as restrictions allow, a survey suggests. The survey, conducted by Yonder, on behalf of leading Covid-19 testing company Cignpost ExpressTest, found around half would return to events if measures such as PCR testing, reduced capacity and social distancing, were in place.
The world number one has pulled out of the Byron Nelson Classic.
Veteran NBA referee Tony Brown will miss the rest of the regular season and the playoffs after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last month. "Tony is a beloved member of the NBA family, and in particular, our officiating family," Monty McCutchen, NBA senior vice president for referee development and training, said in a news release Monday.
The Tokyo Olympics suffered an unexpected blow on Monday when Naomi Osaka – the Japanese tennis champion who could emerge as the face of these Games – admitted that she was “not really sure” whether they should go ahead. After recent polls had suggested that 60 per cent of Japan’s population would like to see the Olympics cancelled, this was another reminder of how controversial these pandemic Games have become. Osaka was speaking to the BBC in Rome, where she is playing her second clay-court event of the season. “I'm an athlete, and of course my immediate thought is that I want to play in the Olympics," she said. "But as a human, I would say we're in a pandemic, and if people aren't healthy, and if they're not feeling safe, then it's definitely a really big cause for concern.” When the BBC’s Russell Fuller asked Osaka if it would be appropriate for Tokyo to stage the Games, she replied: "To be honest, I'm not really sure.” Osaka is ranked No2 in the world, but on the hard courts that will be used for the Olympic tennis event, she would surely start as favourite. She has won four of the last six hard-court majors, while world No1 Ashleigh Barty has never reached a major final on the surface. As for how she would feel if there were no fans present in Tokyo – which seems a highly plausible scenario – Osaka said “I've never played an Olympic event, so it's not like I would have anything to compare it to. "I would feel, of course, definitely a bit sad, but at the end of the day, it's an honour to play in the Olympics in the first place and if that's what keeps people healthy, then I'm up for it.” Osaka’s concerns about the Olympics were echoed in Rome by other leading players, prompting speculation that there could be a low turn-out rate in the tennis event. The big names in this year-round sport will find it less traumatic to skip Tokyo than a Greco-Roman wrestler, say, for whom the Games would represent the best chance of reaching a wide audience. Indeed, the other high-profile Japanese player – former US Open finalist Kei Nishikori – also expressed doubts. “I don't think it's easy,” he said, “especially [with] what's happening right now in Japan. It's not doing good. I think they should really hold [off from making decisions] right now. “If you think only about athletes, if you can make good bubble, maybe you can do it,” Nishikori added. “But there is some risk too. What's [going to] happen if there is hundred cases in the Village or can be thousands. The corona, it's been spread very easy. So I will say same as Naomi: you have to discuss how you can play really safely.” A similar question was directed to Serena Williams, who is due to make her playing return this week in Rome after a four-month break. Asked on Monday whether she would go to Tokyo if she wasn’t allowed to take her daughter Alexis Olympia with her, Williams replied “I haven't spent 24 hours without her, so that kind of answers the question itself. We're best friends. “I haven’t really thought much about Tokyo,” Williams added, “because it was supposed to be last year and now it's this year, and then there is this pandemic and there is so much to think about. So I have really been taking it one day at a time, and I definitely need to figure out my next moves.” Djokovic impressed by Murray in training hit By Simon Briggs Novak Djokovic, the world No1, admitted to experiencing flashbacks on Monday after a practice session with the double Olympic champion Andy Murray at Rome’s picturesque Foro Italico. Born just a fortnight apart in 1987, these two had spent more than a decade doing battle on the world’s most famous courts. Until Murray’s hip blew up four years ago and their trajectories diverged dramatically. Djokovic has since added another six majors to his tally. Murray, on the other hand, has won only 21 tour-level matches since the summer of 2017. He is still determined to reboot his career, however, and Djokovic offered him some cautious encouragement on Monday. “I thought he played very well on the court,” Djokovic said. “He moves well, considering it’s clay which is not the best surface for his hips. But considering what he has been through lately, it seems like he’s been feeling well on the court. “I haven’t seen him in a while,” Djokovic added, “and it was great to hit with him. We had a nice chat and a few laughs. It brought back the old times when we spent a lot of time on court together, whether it was training or playing against each other.” If Murray is not participating in the Rome Masters this week, that is because he does not feel quite ready, having barely played a competitive match all season. It is not his metal hip that is responsible – or, at least, not exclusively. He contracted Covid-19 in January and then picked up a mysterious groin injury on the eve of March’s Miami Open. Now, he intends to enter one of the lower-level ATP 250 events next week, either in Geneva or Lyon, before moving on to Paris for the French Open. It is not yet clear whether he will have to go through qualifying at Roland Garros, or whether he will be granted a wild card into the main draw. The organisers say they want to see him play before making a decision. In Murray’s absence, Dan Evans has been the British No 1 since October 2019. Evans’s six clay-court wins over the last month must have boosted his confidence, but he was below his best on Monday – and extremely grouchy – as he went down 6-3, 6-2 to American Taylor Fritz in the first round of Rome. Evans obliterated his racket after losing five games in a row to end the first set, and he directed a stream of invective towards his support camp in the early stages of the second.
Rory McIlroy climbed back into the top 10 in the Official World Golf Rankings following his first win in 18 months, and knocked Brooks Koepka out of that group in the process. McIlroy's one-shot victory at the Wells Fargo Championship vaulted him up six spots to No. 7 after having fallen to his lowest ranking in a decade. Koepka, who missed the cut at the Masters in his only event since a March knee procedure, fell two spots to No. 12.
In the rare occasions that Kyle Sinckler addresses the media, such as in this weekend’s deeply emotional interview with BT Sport, he never fails to address his work with Saviour World, a men’s mentoring organisation. “I'm not going to lie, I'm quite emotional right now," Sinckler said of his omission from the Lions squad on Saturday. “It's been tough. It means so much to me. I'm just lucky I've got my mentor at Saviour World and we broke it down. I kind of understand the reasons why.” From the outside looking in, it can be hard to ascertain the purpose of Saviour World with a website that features lots of new-age slogans and anime style cartoons where all the men have muscles popping out of muscles. However, as well as helping prop Sinckler, Saviour World have previously supported fly half Danny Cipriani and Australian back James O’Connor, who credits their work for helping him to play at the 2019 World Cup. The male-only organisation was founded by Ollie Pryce-Tidd after he suffered an adrenal fatigue having burnt the candle at both ends trying to combine a semi-professional rugby career with running a London nightclub. Speaking to the Telegraph Sport in 2019, he explained: “On paper, (my lifestyle) would have looked great. But it was destroying me because it wasn’t my purpose. I feel like I was destroyed so that I could understand the lowest level of vibration.” Saviour World’s doctrine is based on 27 practices, nine for body, mind and soul. It offers a paid public membership but also engages in direct mentoring with athletes. In his work with Pryce-Tidd, O’Connor engaged in heat exhaustion exercises as well as meditation and sensory deprivation. Male-only clubs tend to have gained a bad press in recent times, but in interviews Pryce-Tidd has said that is because men need more help with their mental health.
Mexican Perez started in eighth place, after suffering shoulder pain in qualifying, and finished fifth at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya -- more than a minute behind Mercedes' winner Lewis Hamilton. Seven-times champion Hamilton and Verstappen were so far ahead of the rest that the decisive strategy of a second pitstop and fresh tyres opened up for the Mercedes driver as he chased his Red Bull rival.
Some of the assurances UEFA is looking for are not straightforward for the UK Government to deal with, given the strict border controls.
The government said in February that under the third stage of its four-stage "roadmap", stadiums would - if all conditions are met - from May 17 be allowed to hold up to 50% of their capacity, or 4,000 people, whichever is lower. Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed on Monday the roadmap would progress as planned. The Premier League said last week attendance for the penultimate round of matches to be played on May 18-19 and the final day May 23 would be restricted to home fans.
How Emma Hayes turned Chelsea from also-rans to all-conquerors. Chelsea Women are closing in on a historic quadruple but it has taken a remarkable rebuild to get here
Arsenal move to strengthen scouting network in latest recruitment reshuffleClub appoint headhunting company to fill new scouting rolesGunners released Francis Cagigao and others in September Arsenal cut a number of scouting roles in September but now appear to be recruiting again. Photograph: Andy Rain/EPA
Kerr, who counts two major victories among her 20 wins on the LPGA Tour, was at risk of missing the June 3-6 major at The Olympic Club after falling to 100th in the rankings this season. "I'm grateful to everyone at the USGA for this special exemption and the opportunity to continue to play in what I consider our sport's greatest championship," Kerr said in a news release. "I can't wait to arrive at The Olympic Club and tee it up in my 26th U.S. Women's Open."