Everton and Spurs share the points after horrific Andre Gomes injury

Teammates comfort Everton's Portuguese midfielder André Gomes (C floor) as he gets attention for an injury during the English Premier League football match between Everton and Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison Park in Liverpool, north west England on November 3, 2019. (Photo by Oli SCARFF / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE. No use with unauthorized audio, video, data, fixture lists, club/league logos or 'live' services. Online in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No video emulation. Social media in-match use limited to 120 images. An additional 40 images may be used in extra time. No use in betting publications, games or single club/league/player publications. /  (Photo by OLI SCARFF/AFP via Getty Images)
Teammates comfort Everton's André Gomes (Credit: Getty Images)

Everton scored a late equaliser to earn a 1-1 draw with Tottenham, in a game that was marred by a horrific injury to Everton’s Andre Gomes.

Spurs took the lead through Dele Alli, but Cenk Tosun scored eight minutes into injury time to secure a much needed point. The large amount of added time came after Gomes caught his foot and appeared to break his ankle.

The player caught his foot in the turf after being fouled by Son Heung-min and was immediately stretchered off with players around him looking visibly distressed, including Son who was sent off.

Marco Silva made two changes from the side which started lost at Brighton. Yerry Minawas recalled in place of Michael Keane at the back, while Fabian Delph replaced Bernard in midfield.

Spurs were dealt a huge blow pregame after skipper Harry Kane was ruled out through illness, Brazilian Lucas Moura came in to replace him. Left-back Ben Davies and Tanguy Ndombele also came in for Danny Rose and Harry Winks.

The game started with both teams looking sharp, but also equal to each other. Both sides seemed content while the other was in possession and unable to create anything of any real note when they themselves had the ball.

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - NOVEMBER 03: Marco Silva, Manager of Everton and Mauricio Pochettino, Manager of Tottenham Hotspur looks on during the Premier League match between Everton FC and Tottenham Hotspur at Goodison Park on November 03, 2019 in Liverpool, United Kingdom. (Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images)
Marco Silva and Mauricio Pochettino (Credit: Getty Images)

With the seats of Mauricio Pochettino and Marco Silva fairly hot underneath it appeared both teams were hesitant and conscious of not making mistakes. Fifteen minutes in to the game and there hadn’t been a single touch from an attacking player in the opponent’s box.

In a game of so little chances, Everton’s Theo Walcott was one of the brighter spots. His pace was enough to cause slight concern, or at least wariness, for the away side, but Davies managed to deal with most of the threat.

One Walcott cross from the byline found Andre Gomes but it was a fraction too high, and the Portuguese midfielder could only head over.

At half-time, Son Heung-min had fewer touches than anyone on the pitch, including both goalkeepers.

READ MORE: Leicester win at Crystal Palace to move to third in the table

READ MORE: Wasted opportunities in the field see England lose T20 match to New Zealand

The game’s first real flashpoint came when Son went down under a Mina challenge in the box. The initial decision was no penalty, and it stood after a check. Before the game got underway again, however, it was rechecked again, with no one in the ground really knowing what was going on. Ultimately, it had no affect on the decision and the game remained goalless.

Tottenham Hotspur's Dele Alli celebrates scoring his side's first goal of the game during the Premier League match at Goodison Park, Liverpool. (Photo by Nick Potts/PA Images via Getty Images)
Tottenham Hotspur's Dele Alli celebrates (Credit: Getty Images)

Just after the hour mark the game finally picked up. The Son incident, plus Richarlison being brought to ground on two occasions woke the home crowd up, but they were to get angrier soon after.

Alex Iwobi picked up the ball just inside his own half and played a pass straight to Son. The South Korean played in Dele Alli, who cut inside Mason Holgate before finding the bottom-left corner to give his side the lead.

VAR came into play soon after when a cross looked to hit Alli’s arm in the Spurs’ box. After over four minutes of checking, with boos ringing throughout Goodison Park, no penalty was given and the home fans were left further frustrated.

The game then stalled after an awful injury to Andre Gomes. The midfielder appeared to suffer an awful leg break in Everton’s Premier League fixture with Tottenham.

The Portuguese midfielder fell under a challenge from Son Heung-min, but caught his leg in the turf just after which appeared to cause the injury.

The South Korean looked visibly distressed, as did a number of players around Gomes, and was sent off soon afterwards.

Goodison Park erupted deep into injury time when Cenk Tosun headed home to earn his side a share of the points on an emotional day for the Toffees.

Featured from our writers