Jean-Phillipe Mateta double ends Newcastle's unbeaten run as Crystal Palace continue fine form

Crystal Palace beat Newcastle 2-0 thanks to a double from Jean-Philippe Mateta

The in-form Jean-Philippe Mateta netted twice to dent Newcastle's European aspirations as Crystal Palace secured an impressive 2-0 victory. Oliver Glasner's side deservedly took the three points, continuing their revival under the Austrian's guidance with this marking their third consecutive Premier League triumph following significant victories over West Ham and Liverpool.

Mateta opened the scoring at Selhurst Park with a clever finish in the 55th minute before doubling his tally late on, bringing Newcastle's four-match unbeaten streak to a halt and hampering their chances of securing European football for the upcoming season. Despite delivering a stellar performance to overcome West Ham on Sunday, Glasner opted to give Michael Olise a breather following his recent comeback from injury.

However, this didn't hinder the hosts' momentum as Eberechi Eze, who was in commanding form, sent an early shot wide before his cross was headed over by Mateta. Adam Wharton and Jordan Ayew were next to test their mettle for Palace but couldn't seriously challenge Martin Dubravka, while Bruno Guimaraes gave Newcastle a scare with an injury.

Guimaraes slipped on the slick pitch and remained down, but the Brazilian midfielder managed to carry on, avoiding adding to Newcastle's already extensive list of absentees. Despite having had a 10-day break since their last match, Newcastle appeared lethargic in the initial stages but found their rhythm after 29 minutes.

A superb pass from Guimaraes saw Alexander Isak break free, but Palace 'keeper Dean Henderson kept his cool to slide in and deny the forward. Shortly after, Mateta rattled a shot against the crossbar, but the offside flag was raised before Eze's penalty appeal was dismissed by referee Thomas Bramall, leaving the scoreline blank at half-time.

The interval didn't provide the reset Newcastle needed as Palace came out stronger and finally found the back of the net. Eze played a key role, his sharp pass finding Mateta who executed a smooth one-two with Ayew before sliding the ball home.

This marked Palace's first goal against Newcastle in seven encounters, and they quickly sought a second, but Mateta could only direct a header straight at Dubravka from an Eze corner. Eze created another opportunity after 65 minutes, but Will Hughes' curling shot ended up on the roof of the net.

By this point, Eddie Howe had seen enough and brought on Lewis Hall and Callum Wilson, the latter making his first appearance since February. Newcastle responded positively, with an Isak shot blocked before they were denied a penalty with just 14 minutes remaining.

Sean Longstaff made a dash into the box and went down following minimal contact from Hughes, but referee Bramall awarded a goal-kick, a decision backed by VAR Chris Kavanagh at Stockley Park. Despite Newcastle's late push for an equaliser, they struggled to create clear opportunities, and Palace sealed the game with a goal two minutes from time.

Hughes linked up with substitute Jeffrey Schlupp to set up Mateta, who managed to squeeze the ball past Dubravka for his eighth goal in nine games since Glasner took over in February.