Juventus will be Champions League contenders next season, vows Max Allegri as he departs

Sports Staff
The Independent
Juventus will be Champions League contenders next season, vows Max Allegri as he departs
Juventus will be Champions League contenders next season, vows Max Allegri as he departs

Massimiliano Allegri feels he will leave Juventus with the potential to go on and win the Champions League after it was announced he would step down as head coach at the end of the season.

The 51-year-old has been in charge of the Turin club since joining from fellow Serie A heavyweights AC Milan in 2014, and won the league title in each of his five seasons in charge.

However, hopes of European success this year were ended by quarter-final defeat against Ajax, while Juve had also lost the 2017 Champions League final against Real Madrid in Cardiff.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Allegri said at a press conference on Saturday: “I leave a winning team which has the potential to repeat its achievements in Italy and have another great Champions League campaign. Unfortunately, some situations meant we couldn’t go all the way (during my time).”

Allegri was presented with a commemorative shirt by Juventus president Andrea Agnelli which had on the back “History alone” above the number five.

Juventus players were also present at the Allianz Stadium for what was an emotional occasion, Agnelli haven given a moving speech in tribute to the out-going head coach.

“We talked, expressed our ideas on what was best for Juventus and the future of Juventus. After that, the club evaluated it and decided it was best that I wouldn’t be the coach of Juventus next season,” said Allegri, whose contract had been running through to June 2020.

“I leave behind a solid group with extraordinary players, both technically and as men, because you need good men to win as well as good footballers.”

PA

What to read next