Leicester City thrash ten man Newcastle United 5-0 to go third in the Premier League table

Lee Jarvis
Ricardo Pereira celebrates after scoring his team's first goal. (Credit: Getty Images)
Ricardo Pereira celebrates after scoring his team's first goal. (Credit: Getty Images)

Leicester City cruised to a 5-0 victory over the ten men of Newcastle United at the King Power Stadium to move up to third in the Premier League table with their biggest ever Premier League win.

Ricardo Pereira opened the scoring with a magnificent solo effort and then just before half time Isacc Hayden was sent off for a dangerous challenge on Dennis Praet.

Jamie Vardy and then an own goal by Paul Dummett then added two quick goals to the tally in the second half, before Vardy grabbed his second of the game to make the score 4-0. Wilfred Ndidi then finished the scoring with a neat finish for Leicester’s fifth goal of the game.

The Foxes knew that a win against Newcastle would add to their impressive start to the season, and move them into the top four, while Newcastle needed a victory to move them out of the relegation zone.

The first chance of the game came after just two minutes. Ayoze Perez’s shot was saved from just a couple of yards out after a neat passage of play from the home side. Martin Dubravka did well in the Newcastle goal, but the offside flag was up against Vardy in the build up.

In the early exchanges Leicester hadn’t managed to find the pace and urgency that they had found in their last home game against Tottenham, and Newcastle missed a glorious chance through Yoshinori Muto on 12 minutes. The 27-year-old couldn’t make contact with Isaac Hayden’s cross when well placed in the Foxes’ penalty area.

The home side took the lead on 17 minutes. Ricardo ran at the Newcastle defence, who couldn’t keep up with the 25-year-old, who burst towards the box and curled a precise effort into the bottom corner, past the outstretched arm of Dubravka to make the score 1-0.

Heavy rain had made conditions difficult for both sets of players inside the King Power Stadium, but Brendan Rodgers’ side were certainly in control. Newcastle players had to throw themselves in the way of a fierce Praet strike to deny Leicester a second goal of the game.

Newcastle were reduced to ten men when Hayden was sent off for a dangerous and high tackle on Praet. Hayden didn’t agree with the decision but replays showed it was a high challenge and referee Craig Pawson had made the correct decision. Steve Bruce’s side down to ten men with 2 minutes to play in the first half.

In first half stoppage time Harvey Barnes had an opportunity to double Leicester’s advantage but his powerful effort just flew over the crossbar and the teams went in at half time with the score at 1-0.

Craig Pawson shows a red card to Isaac Hayden. (Credit: Getty Images)
Craig Pawson shows a red card to Isaac Hayden. (Credit: Getty Images)

READ MORE: ‘Liverpool wouldn’t have won that a few years ago’ – Wijnaldum

READ MORE: PL roundup: 10-man Spurs beat Southampton, Chelsea breeze to victory and two four-goal thrillers

READ MORE: Man City move back to within five points of Liverpool after win at Everton

Leicester made a perfect start to the second half. Just nine minutes played and they had their second goal of the game. Jamie Vardy burst through on goal and managed to fire a shot past Dubravka at his near post from a tight angle. The Magpies goalkeeper will certainly feel he should have done better.

It got even worse for Newcastle just two minutes later. Ricardo played the ball into the path of Praet who found his effort deflected by defender Paul Dummett, past Dubravka’s left hand and into the back of the net for Leicester’s third goal of the game.

It looked as though the Foxes could run riot and that is exactly what started to happen. The away side were all over the place defensively, and the Foxes were making the extra man count. Substitute Marc Albrighton picked out the run of Jamie Vardy with a perfect cross that the former England striker headed into the net for Leicester’s fourth goal wwith 26 minutes left to play.

Jamie Vardy scores his first goal of the game. (Credit: Getty Images)
Jamie Vardy scores his first goal of the game. (Credit: Getty Images)

Leicester looked content with their four goals and were happy to keep possession for the remaining minutes.

But in the final minute of the game the scoring was completed through Wilfred Ndidi. The 22-year-old was allowed to turn and finish in the bottom corner to make the score 5-0 with only additional time to play.

And that’s how it finished. Leicester claiming their second win in succession as they move up to 3rd in the division. Newcastle remain in the bottom three places and are now without a win in four Premier League games.

Next up for Leicester is the tough task of beating Liverpool at Anfield. Newcastle will need to regroup quickly before playing Manchester United next weekend at St James Park.

Featured from our writers