Liverpool fan discharged from hospital after assault before Napoli match

Dimitri Kondonis

A Liverpool fan was discharged from hospital after being assaulted before Tuesday’s Champions League defeat to Napoli.

The 26-year-old man, who was with a 46-year-old man, suffered “superficial cuts and grazes” in the incident.

Peter Moore, Liverpool’s CEO, confirmed he visited the fan in hospital.

Police confirmed the incident on Wednesday morning in a statement after the fan passed out at the ground during the half-time break.

READ MORE: Late collapse condemns Liverpool to Napoli defeat

READ MORE: Jurgen Klopp fumes at penalty decision

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

A Merseyside Police statement said: “We can confirm a Liverpool fan was taken to hospital during the match against Napoli last night, Tuesday 17th September.

“The same man, aged 26, had been assaulted earlier in the evening in Naples with a second man, aged 46. He suffered superficial cuts and grazes to the head and was treated at the scene before continuing to attend the match.

“At half time it is believed he passed out at the stadium and was taken to hospital for a check-up as a precaution. He has since been discharged.

“Officers from Merseyside Police and representatives from Liverpool Football Club attended the hospital to check on his welfare.”

Concerns were raised after a friend of the victim posted to a fans’ forum that Steven Allen "collapsed at half-time due to significant blood loss sustained after being ambushed in a bar by Napoli fans".

Moore confirmed on Twitter he visited the victim in hospital.

NAPLES, ITALY - SEPTEMBER 17: (THE SUN OUT, THE SUN ON SUNDAY OUT) The Fans of Liverpool during the UEFA Champions League group E match between SSC Napoli and Liverpool FC at Stadio San Paolo on September 17, 2019 in Naples, Italy. (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
Liverpool fans travelled in numbers to support the team against Napoli in Italy on Tuesday. (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
BURNLEY, ENGLAND - AUGUST 31: Liverpool Chief Executive Peter Moore and his wife, Debbie Moore, look on before the Premier League match between Burnley and Liverpool at Turf Moor on August 31, 2019 in Burnley, United Kingdom. (Photo by Simon Stacpoole/Offside/Offside via Getty Images)
Liverpool's CEO Peter Moore went to the hospital to visit the victim. (Photo by Simon Stacpoole/Offside/Offside via Getty Images)

He later tweeted: "The hospital staff and the police have now helped Steven and been very cooperative. He’s been seen and will be monitored throughout the night. He asked me to thank everyone for their concern."

On Tuesday, Merseyside Police confirmed the incident had taken place and an investigation will take place.

"Two men from the UK, aged 26 and 46, sustained superficial cuts and grazes to the head and were treated at the scene before continuing to attend the match," a statement read.

"Local police area aware and Merseyside Police are working with police colleagues in Naples to assist in the policing of the Champions League fixture tonight."

Featured from our writers