West Ham 2-2 Arsenal: Deja vu for Gunners as another two-goal lead thrown away


Arsenal led a two-goal lead slip away from home for the second game in a row for a 2-2 draw with West Ham that serves as a key blow in their title hopes.

The Gunners had flown into an early lead in fine fashion, Gabriel Jesus tapping home Ben White’s low cross after a slick move through Thomas Partey and Martin Odegaard.

Within ten minutes it was 2-0, Odegaard connecting sweetly with a deep cross from Gabriel Martinelli.

Arsneal proceeded to sit on the ball in training-ground play, failing to get the killer third goal even as West Ham looked dead and buried despite Liverpool snatching a point from a similar position only a week ago.

Shortly after the half-hour mark, they were made to pay when Partey’s sloppy ball allowed Declan Rice in, the Hammers winning a penalty for Gabriel sending Lucas Paqueta tumbling in the box. Said Benrahma slotted home to swing the pendulum in the hosts’ favour.

Arsenal still had the opportunity to re-establish a two-goal lead having survived past half time, Michail Antonio clearly handling Martinelli’s shot for a second penalty of the afternoon. However, Bukayo Saka tamely shot wide from 12 yards.

It felt seemingly inevitable, then, that the scores would be level barely minutes later. Thilo Kehrer’s looping ball into the box from a cleared set piece fell for Jarrod Bowen, who squeezed a shot past Aaron Ramsdale on 54 minutes.

Replacing the subpar Partey helped bring a greater sense of calm for Arsenal yet they struggled to create chances, only going close through Jesus failing to connect with a wicked Kieran Tierney low cross.

Up the other end, Tierney blocked Bowen from getting through on goal before Antonio’s header clipped the outside of the post as the final ten minutes began.

However, West Ham began to settle in as the team far more content with a point, which pushes them further clear of the dropzone as Arsenal continue to look over their shoulder at Manchester City.