Kick It Out call for Italy federation action after racist abuse aimed at Kean was 'third incident in three years' at Cagliari


Kick It Out are demanding action after the racist abuse aimed at Moise Kean was the third instance in as many years at Cagliari.

The anti-discrimination campaigners condemned the Italian federation as well as the reactions of Juventus boss Massimiliano Allegri and defender Leonardo Bonucci.

Bonucci claimed the young Italian international was partially to blame while Allegri seemed to agree that he ‘shouldn’t have celebrated in that way’.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

The organisation said in a statement: “This is the third year in a row that black players have been racially abused at Cagliari – Blaise Matuidi (Kean’s team-mate) and Sulley Muntari have faced the same treatment – and yet the Italian FA allow it to continue.

“To compound the abuse further, Kean – the victim – is criticised for his reaction by the Cagliari president, as well as his own captain Leonardo Bonucci and manager Massimiliano Allegri. Both should take a lesson from Matuidi, who actually showed his support for a young man forced to endure monkey chanting from supporters.”

READ MORE: Bonucci, Allegri slammed for responses to Kean racist abuse

CAGLIARI, ITALY – APRIL 02: Blaise Matuidi of Juventus celebrates the goal of Moise Kean during the Serie A match between Cagliari and Juventus at Sardegna Arena on April 2, 2019 in Cagliari, Italy. (Photo by Enrico Locci/Getty Images)
CAGLIARI, ITALY – APRIL 02: Blaise Matuidi of Juventus celebrates the goal of Moise Kean during the Serie A match between Cagliari and Juventus at Sardegna Arena on April 2, 2019 in Cagliari, Italy. (Photo by Enrico Locci/Getty Images)

Kick It Out also called for stricter punishments for racist chanting in the wake of the abuse of Kean.

“Swift decisive action against mass racist chanting must be taken now and that means extended stadium bans or points deductions,” the group added.

Juventus captain Giorgio Chiellini, however, has backed Kean.

“Moise is an asset to Italian football, a golden boy who is doing his best and he doesn’t have to pretend to be something he’s not,” said the veteran defender on the Juventus website.

“I don’t really remember what happened while I was on the pitch, but I’ve seen the pictures of Moise and he didn’t do anything wrong.

“You have to think of him like people do (Nicolo) Zaniolo, (Federico) Chiesa, (Nicolo) Barella (who are all young Italy internationals)… as a positive representation of Italian football, because he deserves that status.

“The only thing he got wrong yesterday was the dive, which I’m sure he won’t repeat, but he’s here to learn. He’s a very positive person and certainly didn’t deserve the insults he received.”

READ MORE: Jones leaves Sheffield United Women after being found guilty of racist abuse

Raheem Sterling, himself victim of racist abuse on a number of occasions including last week’s England match in Montenegro, took to social media to blast the Italy veteran.

He said on Instagram: “The blame is 50-50… All you can do now is laugh” before later posting on Twitter: ‘#2019 #getsomeeducation’.

Kean later posted an image of the celebration on Instagram with the caption ‘the best way to respond to racism.’

Bonucci, who later posted ‘Regardless of everything… No to racism’ on his Instagram, said: “You celebrate goals with your team-mates.

“He could have done it differently. I think the blame is 50-50. Moise should not have done that and the Curva [fans] should not have reacted in that way.”

Featured from our writers:

What to read next