Talks of a contract extension for UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva have been ongoing since late last year, and despite a bit of a jump to the contrary on Wednesday, UFC president Dana White on Thursday said the deal has yet to be signed.
Negotiations began following Silva’s last fight on Oct. 13, 2012, with two fights remaining on his previous contract.
“I haven’t talked to Anderson in about a month,” said White during a question and answer session in Herald Square in New York on Wednesday. “As far as I know it’s done.
“It is a ten-fight deal.”
While that might lead most people to think that a new contract had been signed, that's not quite what White meant.
“The deal is gonna get done, (but) it’s not signed yet,” he explained on Thursday.
Whether or not that 10-fight deal, once signed, runs its full course, we'll only know as the res of Silva's career plays out.
“There’s always gonna be somebody there that’s next. Look how fast Johny Hendricks exploded,” said White in talking about whether or not he truly believes Silva will fight 10 more times. “Whether he’s gonna end up fighting 10 fights, which could end up being four years, I don’t know.”
Silva (33-4) is undefeated in the UFC with a record 16-fight consecutive winning streak. He’s defended his title an unprecedented 10 times.
It wasn’t revealed whether or not the contract extension has a time stamp on it, and Silva can always retire before fulfilling the 10 contracted bouts.