FA Cup: sixth-tier Chorley stun Peterborough to reach third round

Tom Bassam
·4-min read

Chorley reached the FA Cup third round for the first time in their history after stunning League One high flyers Peterborough with a 2-1 comeback victory.

The National League North part-timers, who dumped Wigan out in the previous round, trailed to Jack Taylor’s ferocious half-volley after two minutes but it soon went downhill for Peterborough.

Related: Reluctant manager Alun Armstrong finds a new pressure at Darlington

Harry Cardwell and Elliot Newby were both denied levellers for Chorley by the woodwork in the first half, but Lewis Baines ensured the non-league side would not rue missing those chances. First the defender laid on Connor Hall for the Chorley leveller on the hour before firing in after a Newby corner was headed into his path three minutes later.

Christy Pym prevented further embarrassment for Posh when he saved a Harry Cardwell penalty with 15 minutes to go, but the side 89 places lower in the football pyramid had already done enough to claim a second League One scalp.

Until that point the FA Cup’s second round had thrown up few shocks, with the most drama at the Mazuma Stadium, where League Two Morecambe came from a goal down to beat Solihull Moors of the National League 4-2 in extra time. Kyle Hudlin’s first Solihull goal gave the Midlanders a 19th-minute lead, an advantage they held until the break. Cole Stockton turned the game around for the Shrimps, scoring twice in six early second-half minutes, before Morecambe old boy Jordan Cranston equalised to force extra time. In the end substitute John O’Sullivan and a Mitch Hancox own goal saw Morecambe reach the third round for the first time in 18 years.

Extra time was also needed at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium where hosts Cheltenham were grateful for George Lloyd’s brave header as they beat Crewe 2-1. West Brom loanee Finn Azaz had put the Robins ahead in just the second minute but Chris Porter’s leveller just after the hour forced the extra period.

Things were much more serene for the home side at Fratton Park, where Portsmouth cruised to a 6-1 win over National League King’s Lynn. Rasmus Nicolaisen, the defender on-loan from Danish champions FC Midtjylland, headed the League One side ahead after two minutes with further goals from Tom Naylor, Sean Raggett and Marcus Harness ensuring that the hosts were out of sight by the time Dayle Southwell pulled a goal back for King’s Lynn. Ellis Harrison and Jordy Hiwula were to pile on two more goals for Pompey before the full-time whistle.

League One Blackpool made equally light work of Harrogate from the tier below. It took until the 50th minute for the Tangerines to get the breakthrough at the CNG Stadium, with Mark Beck putting into his own net, but further strikes from Grant Ward, Jordan Lawrence-Gabriel and Daniel Kemp put Blackpool into the third round draw. Harrogate suffered a further blow with Kevin Lokko seeing red late on.

Exeter caused a mini upset as they ran out 3-2 winners at League One Gillingham. Joel Randall scored twice in five minutes to give the Grecians some breathing room after Nicky Law levelled Vadaine Oliver’s opener for the Gills. Dominic Samuel pulled one back for Gillingham with 10 minutes left but the League Two side hung on to reach the next round.

Morecambe 4-2 Solihull, Gillingham 2-3 Exeter, Newport 3-0 Salford, Bradford City 1-2 Oldham,  Cheltenham 2-1 Crewe, Harrogate 0-4 Blackpool, Plymouth 2-0 Lincoln, Portsmouth 6-1 King's Lynn, Peterborough 1-2 Chorley

League Two leaders Newport County put in a strong showing to beat 10-man Salford. Brandon Thomas-Asante was sent off for a dangerous challenge on Newport keeper Tom King just after the break and the Exiles took full advantage. Jamie Proctor, Padraig Amond and Saikou Janneh all scored for the hosts to knock out Richie Wellens’ side.

Plymouth also secured a straightforward passage into the third round with goals from Luke Jephcott and Ben Reeves enough to beat fellow League One side Lincoln at Home Park.

In the all-League Two battle between Bradford City and Oldham it was Harry Kewell’s Latics who came out on top, despite falling behind early on.

Clayton Donaldson put the Bantams ahead from the spot in the 11th minute but Oldham equalised seven minutes later when Conor McAleny cut in from the left and lashed a shot into the far corner from 20 yards. Danny Rowe scored a superb winner to give Oldham their third away win in eight days, their sixth in their last seven matches.