Football calls for action over social media abuse as blackout ends

Dan Kilpatrick
·1-min read
 (Evening Standard)
(Evening Standard)

Participants in football’s three-day social media boycott, which ended last night, have reiterated calls for the platforms to take action to stop abuse.

Standard Sport joined clubs, players and the game’s leading organisations in boycotting all social media from 3pm on Friday until midnight in solidarity with victims of abuse and to encourage companies to do more.

On ending the blackout this morning, Premier League clubs released a statement reading: “We now call on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to use their power to affect change and ensure there are real-life sanctions for online hate. We invite these social media companies to respond to our requests for action.”

Similar statements were released by the EFL and its clubs, the WSL and its clubs, the FA, the PFA and others, as the game united to pressure big tech.

Tottenham released a powerful video of their male and female players and managers sharing their experiences of online abuse.

South Korean forward Heung-min Son said: “People should just understand we’re just normal people, it doesn’t matter where you come from, who you are. We’re all the same humans. We’re born the same as everyone else.”

Manchester United last week banned six supporters, pending appeal, for allegedly abusing Son online after their win over Tottenham on April 11.

Read More

Kane speculation will not derail Tottenham’s European push, says Mason

Henry: Fight against racism needs ‘same energy’ as Super League fury

Standard Sport joins social media boycott in campaign against hate