New Zealand’s limited-overs series against Pakistan has been called off due to security concerns. The tour was scheduled to start with the first one-day international today at the Rawalpindi Cricket Stadium.
However, there were speculations about a few New Zealand players testing positive for COVID-19 earlier and they were asked to confine themselves to their room, even 5 minutes before the toss. But the official statement issued by the New Zealand Cricket Board stated that the tour has been called off after an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan.
Meanwhile, arrangements have been made by the New Zealand cricket board for their players to return home as well. However, there has been no update about when this cancelled tour will take place.
The BLACKCAPS are abandoning their tour of Pakistan following a New Zealand government security alert.
Arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.
More information | https://t.co/Lkgg6mAsfu
— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) September 17, 2021
NZC chief executive David White has said: “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”
New Zealand Cricket Players Association chief executive Heath Mills backed Mr White’s sentiments. “We’ve been across this process throughout and are fully supportive of the decision,” he said. “The players are in good hands; they’re safe – and everyone’s acting in their best interests.”
“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” PCB said in their statement.
“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal,” the statement further added.
Here is how Twitterati reacted to Pakistan vs New Zealand series cancellation:
Hugely disappointing that the @BLACKCAPS tour to Pakistan is abandoned. @TheRealPCB has worked so hard in such challenging times to bring cricket back to the homeland, this is a crushing blow to Pakistan's cricket fans, and will surely impact future incoming tours#PAKvNZ
— Alan Wilkins (@alanwilkins22) September 17, 2021
The whole world knows that we're a cricket and peace-loving nation. we have been making all possible efforts to get cricket back home.
The decision of the NZ cricket board & govt has broken our hearts, damaged our cricket by ignoring our efforts & struggles of past years. #PAKvNZ
— Bismah Maroof (@maroof_bismah) September 17, 2021
Extremely disappointed on the abrupt postponement of the series, which could have brought the smiles back for millions of Pakistan Cricket Fans. I've full trust in the capabilities and credibility of our security agencies. They are our pride and always will be! Pakistan Zindabad!
— Babar Azam (@babarazam258) September 17, 2021
Disappointed waking up to the news of the cancellation of the Pakistan Vs New Zealand series because of security issues.Over the last 6 years playing and visiting Pakistan has been one of the most enjoyable experiences. I’ve always felt safe. this is a massive blow to Pakistan
— Daren Sammy (@darensammy88) September 17, 2021
Pakistan has made monumental efforts to get international cricket back on track. We’ve lost a lot with no international cricket for 6 years in the past and today might set us back again. The pulling out and the abrupt timing of the decision is extremely disappointing. #PAKvNZ
— Shan Masood (@shani_official) September 17, 2021
This is heartbreaking. Pakistanis love cricket so much, we have worked really hard to bring cricket back here. PSL & other teams visiting Pakistan is evidence of our hospitality & security arrangements. We will continue our efforts. #PakistanZindabad
— Shadab Khan (@76Shadabkhan) September 17, 2021
NZ just killed Pakistan cricket
— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) September 17, 2021
On a HOAX threat you have called-off the tour despite all assurances!! @BLACKCAPS do you understand the IMPACT of your decision?
— Shahid Afridi (@SAfridiOfficial) September 17, 2021
Crazy day it has been! Feel so sorry for the fans and our players. Walking out of the tour by taking a unilateral approach on a security threat is very frustrating. Especially when it’s not shared!! Which world is NZ living in??NZ will hear us at ICC.
— Ramiz Raja (@iramizraja) September 17, 2021
The post “NZ Just Killed Pakistan Cricket” – Cricketers React After New Zealand Call Off Pakistan Tour appeared first on Cricfit.