A protest by Manchester United fans against the ownership of the Glazer family saw a number of supporters break into Old Trafford, leading to the postponement of the Premier League clash with Liverpool on Sunday.
Elsewhere, Manchester City moved to the brink of the title with their victory over Crystal Palace, Chelsea reached the Women’s Champions League final and Lewis Hamilton won the Portuguese Grand Prix.
Here, the PA news agency picks out some of the best pictures of the sporting weekend.
Players and staff built a makeshift ring using cones and tape, with Conte and Martinez both wearing boxing gloves as they were introduced by Inter striker turned ring announcer Romelu Lukaku. "Live from Madison Square Garden, It's Lautaro Martinez!" said Lukaku as the players cheered for the Argentine striker in a video posted https://twitter.com/Inter_en/status/1392876413238366211 on the club's Twitter account.
Derby County are scrapping negotiations with Spanish businessman Erik Alonso over the proposed takeover of the Championship club. Mel Morris, the Derby owner, is set to abandon talks with Alonso amid concerns over whether a deal can be concluded, with an American consortium now back in dialogue. Alonso has proved a controversial figure since announcing his intention to buy Derby, insisting he has the funds required to take charge of the club. The 29-year-old, and Derby, announced on April 7 that they had agreed a takeover with his company No Limits Sport Limited. Days later he insisted his ultimate goal was to lead Derby into the Champions League. "My goal is to make Derby big again and get back to the Premier League as soon as possible," he told BBC Radio Derby. But it is understood a deal is now off and Morris is talking to other interested parties with a consortium from America now back in the frame. Derby declined to comment on Thursday evening. Alonso has been active on social media since expressing his desire to buy the club, but endured embarrassment earlier this week when he deleted his Twitter account, hours after being accused of re-using footage of a large property included in a TikTok video to claim it was his own house. It emerged a lavish home which was supposedly his property was revealed to belong to an estate agent in Los Angeles. Alonso is understood to have alleged that his account had been hacked. Alonso was previously linked with a bid to buy Sheffield Wednesday earlier this season. The latest development comes after a torrid week for Derby, who avoided relegation from the Championship on the final day by one point. On Tuesday it emerged that the EFL had won their appeal against Derby over misconduct charges, with the club facing a potential points deduction next season. Derby have also this week lost their bitter legal row with former captain Richard Keogh, being ordered to pay around £2million in compensation by a tribunal.
Anti-Glazer protesters failed to prevent Liverpool and Manchester United players from arriving at Old Trafford ahead of their rearranged Premier League fixture, despite blocking several roads around the stadium. Jurgen Klopp's squad had assembled at the Hyatt Regency, two miles from Old Trafford, with cars on the road blocking a team coach. Liverpool had arrived earlier in the day in three buses, and the players remained in the hotel as a red team bus was blocked by protestors on Kilcardine Road using abandoned cars, with its tyres let down while it was stranded. Footage emerged two hours and 15 minutes before scheduled kick-off of the bus being targeted, but it soon became apparent that the players were not on it. One of the other buses, a black one, remained at the team hotel, with up to six police riot vans arriving soon after for what appeared to be an escort to Old Trafford. Upon the team’s departure from the Hyatt Regency Hotel, word immediately filtered through to protestors at the stadium, who sprinted away from the Munich tunnel area and headed towards the forecourt where the coaches were due to arrive. The Liverpool team buses arrived at Old Trafford just before 7pm, coming into the site from the far western end, through the extensive matchday W car parks. It meant they avoided the obvious point of friction with fans gathering at the gates that protect the bridge on John Gilbert Way over the Bridgewater Canal.
Marcelo Bielsa is on the verge of agreeing a new contract at Leeds United, ending fears that the Argentinian could walk away from Elland Road when his current deal expires at the end of the season. Bielsa’s future has been a constant source of concern for supporters with the popular manager only dealing in one-year contracts since arriving in Yorkshire. The 65-year-old did not put pen to paper on his most recent deal until the days before Leeds’ first game of the season. But Telegraph Sport understands there is an expectation behind the scenes at Elland Road that Bielsa has decided to stay and remains totally committed to the project he started back in 2018. Bielsa instinctively does not like being questioned about contracts or his future by the media and prefers everything to remain private, which helps to fuel doubts about his desire to stay. The former Atletico Bilbao boss is happy and settled in Yorkshire and feels there is still plenty of scope for improvement in a team that has impressed with its attacking style and relentless energy on the club’s return to the Premier League. The situation has been described by senior sources as “completely relaxed” and there are “no concerns” about him leaving. Tellingly, Bielsa has been in constant dialogue with the board at Leeds, including owner Andrea Radrizzani and is already planning for next season. Bielsa has also been described as “a man of honour” who would have told the club if he wanted to step down, as he would not want to leave Radrizzani or director of football Victor Orta in the lurch. Although nothing has been signed at this stage, the Leeds hierarchy do not anticipate there being any problems agreeing terms when the paperwork is presented to him after the final game of the season. That will come as a huge relief to supporters who have not only seen Bielsa win promotion back to the Premier League after 16 years but also turn them into one of the most talked about and admired teams in the country. Revealed: The extraordinary Marcelo Bielsa coaching family tree Speaking last month, Radrizzani said: “I hope to extend it by the end of the season and I think it is possible. We are in discussions. “There is a common will to continue and so far we have always got along well. We support Marcelo in his work and I think I can say that he is satisfied with his relations with the management of the club. Hopefully, we can continue to work together.” The first objective for Bielsa was promotion, but having achieved that and comfortably avoided relegation this season, the target now is to establish Leeds as a top 10 Premier League side and, eventually, to challenge for European qualification.
Eddie Jones is continuing his side projects in earnest with Hull FC becoming the most recent side to arouse the interest of the England head coach. The Super League side announced on Thursday that the 61-year-old will be spending two days with the club in an "advisory role" this week and will be taking an active part in training ahead of Monday's match against Catalans Dragons. The Australian is a keen rugby league fan and this is not the first time that he has broadened his coaching horizons into rugby's kindred code. In 2019, Jones visited Warrington Wolves, where he watched training sessions with his assistants at the time, Steve Borthwick - now Leicester head coach - and Neal Hatley - now Bath head coach. Jones also wrote in his autobiography, of growing up and following the South Sydney Rabbitohs: "We are still mad-keen rugby league fans today. I can't get enough of it." Hull FC's Australian head coach, Brett Hodgson, has also previously visited the England rugby union camp to observe the way in which Jones "interacted with his players". The Super League club said on Twitter: "The club were delighted to welcome @EnglandRugby head coach Eddie Jones to the Jacuzzi Elite Performance Centre this morning! "At the invitation of Brett Hodgson, Jones will be spending time with the first-team squad over the next two days in an advisory role." Telegraph Sport revealed last month how New Zealand fly-half Beauden Barrett had been working directly with Jones at Japanese side Suntory Sungoliath in the aftermath of England’s joint-worst finish to a Six Nations campaign. Jones has held a consultancy role with Suntory, the club with which he won Japan's Top League in 2012, for over 20 years and holds a similar position for the San Diego Legion, although the extent of his involvement with the American franchise has never been fully detailed. In Dec 2020, the RFU gave the green light for the Australian to continue in his Suntory role despite England having drawn Japan in their pool for the 2023 Rugby World Cup in France. Earlier this year, too, the RFU played down reports that Eddie Jones was set to link up with Top 14 side Castres for a short coaching stint, following comments by the French club's newly appointed head coach, Pierre-Henry Broncan. Broncan told L'Equipe that the two had "developed a relationship of trust", and that Jones had in the past shown him "the plan for the England team" while also recently helping to tweak Broncan's training plans with Castres. "Eddie does not have a coaching agreement with any French team," an RFU spokesperson informed Telegraph Sport in January. Jones's England play Tests against the USA and Canada at Twickenham on July 4 and 10 respectively while England 'A' will make its long-awaited return against their Scottish counterparts on June 27 at Welford Road. Eleven England players have been selected for the British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa so Jones is expected to use the summer matches as an opportunity to experiment, mirroring his approach to England's 2017 tour to Argentina that clashed with the Lions' series against New Zealand. As Telegraph Sport has previously reported, England’s coaching staff are paying particular attention to Sale pair Bevan Rodd (prop) and Ewan Ashman (hooker), who both have Scottish ancestry.
The Philadelphia Phillies and Minnesota Twins are increasing seating capacity with an eye toward full stadiums in the coming weeks. In Philadelphia, social-distancing guidelines have been reduced from six feet to three, and on May 21, the capacity at Citizens Bank Park will be increased from 11,000 to 16,000, the Phillies said Thursday. On June 12, when the Phillies will host the New York Yankees, capacity will be increased to 100 percent for the rest of the season, and tailgating will be permitted.
The Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Social Justice Champion award was unveiled by the league on Thursday. The award honors an NBA player for "pursuing social justice and upholding the league's decades-long values of equality, respect and inclusion." Abdul-Jabbar, a six-time league MVP and NBA champion, long has promoted social justice, particularly in his post-playing career.
ASCOLI PICENO, Italy (Reuters) -Swiss Gino Maeder claimed his maiden grand tour victory when he prevailed at the end of a long breakaway on the sixth stage as Egan Bernal underlined his title credentials again on Thursday. A day after his Bahrain Victorious leader Mikel Landa crashed out of the race, Maeder had just enough left in the tank after 162 km in the rain from Grotte di Frasassi to give his team something to cheer. Charging up behind him was Colombian Bernal, after the 2019 Tour de France champion had dropped most of the pre-race favourites with two kilometres to go on the final climb to San Giacomo.