Thomas Tuchel aggrieved at Antonio Conte dodging touchline ban for Chelsea-Tottenham scuffle

·3-min read
Thomas Tuchel aggrieved at Antonio Conte dodging touchline ban for Chelsea-Tottenham scuffle

Thomas Tuchel has admitted his unhappinss that Antonio Conte escaped a touchline ban for their bust-up at the end of Chelsea's 2-2 draw against Tottenham a fortnight ago.

The FA branded the Blues boss “largely culpable” and said his refusal to let go of Conte's hand was a “highly provocative act” as a scuffle between the benches broke out.

However, despite accepting both his fine and ban, Tuchel insists that he acted no worse than his counterpart - with a touchline ban now expected to be served in Saturday’s home game against Leicester.

“My understanding was that we both had our impact in this situation and both got sent off,” Tuchel said on Friday.

“I can understand that I get a ban, I get a fine. What I don’t understand is that the other coach does not get the same punishment. It’s hard to understand for me.”

He added: “I think there’s two sides to it. The one side to it is that I got the red card and behaved in a game which is not appropriate and which I regret, but it was out of passion. It was not too aggressive, it was out of passion.

“I can accept if I get a red card during the match I have a touchline ban and I am fined. This is one side to it, I don’t dispute it and accept it.

“What’s hard to accept is the context. I don’t think I started the aggression, it started earlier. I don’t think I was the only person involved. We both got a red card.

“A player pulled another player by his hair two minutes earlier. He can play on, he is not banned. For a firm handshake at the end of the match, one coach is banned. This is very hard to accept. It’s hard to accept it. Putting it into context, I cannot understand.”

Thomas Tuchel has been banned for his role in a touchline scrap with Antonio Conte (Action Images via Reuters)
Thomas Tuchel has been banned for his role in a touchline scrap with Antonio Conte (Action Images via Reuters)

The uncertainty around the punishment comes with the Blues boss issuing a response amid a potential appeal to the FA.

“Yeah, we answered,” he continued. “We wait for the final answer but I don’t think it will change anything. At the moment I think I will be banned from the touchline. That’s it.”

Meanwhile, Chelsea face Leicester having coveted their star defender Wesley Fofana throughout the transfer window with three bids having so far been rejected , worth upwards of £70million.

Tuchel refused to confirm or deny talks with Brendan Rodgers leaving out Fofana from the upcoming clash, the defender not seen by his manager as in the right head space amid doubts over his future.

The Chelsea coach said: “It’s your job to read into that. he’s not our player. It’s their decision and that’s where it has to stay.”

Tuchel went on to say that N'Golo Kante will be out for “four-plus weeks” but that he was the only injury doubt for Saturday's Premier League match, with Kalidou Koulibaly suspended following a red card against Leeds last weekend.