Turkey set to host first World Snooker Tour event in September

·1-min read

Turkey might be on the brink of losing the Champions League final but it can console itself with hosting a world snooker ranking tournament for the first time in September.

In the same week that coronavirus concerns have prompted UEFA to look for an alternative host for its all-English showpiece, World Snooker Tour announced that Antalya will stage the inaugural Turkish Masters.

The sport’s governing body said in a statement: “WST will closely monitor all guidelines on travel and Covid safety, working with governments in the UK and overseas.”

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

The tournament, which will provisionally run between September 27 and October 3, will feature 64 players competing for total prize money of £500,000.

The announcement continues WST’s policy of expansion after it announced a tour stop in Saudi Arabia last year, although it was subsequently shelved due to coronavirus concerns.

World number one Judd Trump said he was “very excited” by the news, adding to WST: “It’s always been a dream of mine to play in different countries and cities.”

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting