Nick Kyrgios has been asked to appear in court over allegations he assaulted his ex-girlfriend in an incident late last year.
Kyrgios, who features in the Wimbledon quarter-finals tomorrow, is accused of attacking model Chiara Passari.
“ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates Court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021,” police said on Tuesday.
Barrister Jason Moffett, who represents Kyrgios, confirmed to The Canberra Times that his client was aware of the charge.
“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he said. “The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.
“Given the matter is before the court... he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”
The maximum sentence for the charge is two years.
A further statement from Johannessen Legal, representing Kyrgios, sought to clarify the situation further.
“At the present time, the allegations are not considered as fact by the Court, and Mr Kyrgios is not considered charged with an offence until the First Appearance,” it read.
“Until the Court formally accepts the Prosecution will be proceeding with a charge, and that the charge before the Court is to be applied to the person summoned to appear, it may be misleading to the public to describe the Summons in any other manner than a formal direction to appear to face allegations, the precise nature of which is neither certain at this moment nor confirmed by either the Prosecution or Mr Kyrgios.
“While Mr Kyrgios is committed to addressing any and all allegations once clear, taking the matter seriously does not warrant any misreading of the process Mr Kyrgios is required to follow.”