Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy suffers racist abuse online after Heung-min Son targeted

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Dan Kilpatrick
·3-min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
 (IKIMAGES/AFP/Getty Images)
(IKIMAGES/AFP/Getty Images)

Tottenham have been forced to condemn online racist abuse for the second time in less than 24 hours after chairman Daniel Levy was targeted on social media.

Spurs have reported an anti-semitic post to Twitter and the police, and reiterated calls for action from social media giants.

The post, which referenced offensive anti-semitic tropes and has since been deleted, was highlighted by Spurs fan and Tottenham MP David Lammy and came in response to a tweet from the north London club’s account following yesterday's defeat to Manchester United.

Responding to the abuse, the club tweeted: "We have reported this anti-Semitic post to Twitter and the police. 

“Disappointing that the tweet has yet to be deleted. @Twitter needs to take immediate action against racists continuing to post abuse. Our internal review into a best course of action moving forward is under way."

In consultation with the Premier League, Spurs launched a review on Sunday night into the best course of action when Heung-min Son became their second player to be subjected to abuse in as many weekends

Davinson Sanchez was targeted after last Sunday's draw with Newcastle.

Watch: Easy Body Weight Workouts You Can Do At Home | Move At Home

Spurs condemned the "abhorrent" abuse of Son, who was sent racist insults both in replies to a tweet from the club's official account and in the comments section on his most recent Instagram post.

The South Korean was involved in an incident which saw an Edinson Cavani goal ruled out in the first half for United, with Scott McTominay adjudged to have fouled him in the build-up.

Sanchez took to Instagram last weekend to share a screenshot of a stream of monkey emojis posted in the comments section of his page after he made a mistake leading to a Newcastle goal at St. James’ Park.

In highlighting the abuse of Levy, Lammy, who is Labour’s shadow minister for justice, wrote: "It’s a football match! This is utterly unacceptable. Racism and Anti-Semitism has no place in the game or anywhere else. Please delete the tweet. You are no Spurs man trust me."

The game is growing increasingly frustrated with the lack of action by social media companies and Spurs manager Jose Mourinho has suggested the club is considering joining Swansea, Birmingham and Rangers in a temporary boycott of the platforms.

Former Arsenal and France forward Thierry Henry last month deleted all his accounts and said he would not return until more was done to stop the perpetrators of abuse, many of whom are anonymous.

A company spokesperson for Facebook, which owns Instagram, said: “The abuse directed towards Son Heung-min is abhorrent. We do not want it on Instagram and we have removed a number of comments and accounts that broke our rules. We share the goal of tackling online abuse and holding people who share it accountable.”

Watch: 10 Minute Home HIIT Workout Part Two | Move At Home

Read More

Spurs open season-ticket renewals amid hope of full capacity next term

PSG v Bayern lineups: Confirmed team news and predicted XIs

Chelsea vs Porto: Prediction, team news, how to watch and h2h

5 ways to update your home this spring – with help from TikTok