Brentford 2-4 Newcastle: Late Bees rally not enough on final day thriller

Guimaraes sealed a dramatic over Brentford (Getty Images)
Guimaraes sealed a dramatic over Brentford (Getty Images)

Bruno Guimaraes scored to cap a 4-2 win for Newcastle at Brentford and celebrated in a Toon bucket hat.

The Brazil midfielder, linked with a move away this summer, hit Newcastle's fourth to halt a potential Bees comeback.

And he lapped up the moment in front of the away fans after his goal clinched seventh place for Newcastle and - if Manchester City win the FA Cup final next weekend - a return to Europe in the Europa Conference League.

A wild afternoon saw Newcastle sweep into a 3-0 lead at half-time through goals from Harvey Barnes, Jacob Murphy and Alexander Isak, only for Vitaly Janelt and Yoane Wissa to haul Brentford back into the match before Magpies favourite Guimaraes settled it.

It was a disappointing way to sign off the season for Brentford and in particular Ivan Toney, on what is likely to be his swansong appearance ahead of an expected summer move.

The striker had not scored in his previous 11 matches but could have had a hat-trick in the opening 10 minutes.

He sent an overhead kick narrowly over the crossbar after 55 seconds and had a goal ruled out by VAR for offside after he tapped in Bryan Mbeumo's cross.

Toney was then sent through by Mbeumo again but his shot was kept out by the leg of returning Toon goalkeeper Nick Pope.

Newcastle could also have been ahead inside 10 minutes but for an extraordinary miss by Joelinton, who scuffed Isak's cross wide of an empty net from eight yards out.

But they did take the lead in the 21st minute when Guimaraes lifted an inviting cross into the box for Barnes to powerfully head home.

Newcastle doubled their lead in the 36th minute after Isak capitalised on some dawdling from Ethan Pinnock to race through and cross for Murphy to convert at the far post.

Less than two minutes Guimaraes slid in Isak, who coolly finished for goal number three.

Isak could have had another before half-time when he latched onto Joelinton's through-ball, cut onto his right foot and forced a fine save from Bees keeper Mark Flekken.

Instead, Brentford pulled one back when Janelt tucked away a low cross from Wissa shortly after the restart.

Toney was then denied a farewell goal when his downward header was superbly clawed away by Pope.

But Wissa pulled another back with a stunning individual goal, turning Dan Burn inside and out before curling his shot in off the far post.

Newcastle were awarded a penalty by referee Simon Hooper after Mbeumo clumsily brought down Lewis Hall, but the decision was reversed after a VAR check showed the foul was outside the box.

No matter, as from the free-kick Isak's shot was saved and Guimaraes scooped in the rebound before enjoying his celebrations with the travelling supporters as Newcastle signed off in style.