It’s been almost a month since Conor McGregor announced his return to the UFC but without an official acknowledgment by the promotion – but at least it looks like he’s getting ready to fight soon.
On Thursday, McGregor, always one to share training videos, released his first sparring footage through his website TheMacLife (video above), which shows him and a partner doing work in both a ring and a cage with boxing gloves on.
Back on New Year’s Day, McGregor went on social media to declare his UFC return date of June 29 at International Fight Week in Las Vegas, where he said he’ll fight Michael Chandler – as expected after both men coached “The Ultimate Fighter 31” last year – but in a middleweight bout.
If true, it would mark the first time both men have competed at 185 pounds. McGregor is a former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion who’s also competed twice at welterweight; Chandler is a former Bellator lightweight champion and has continued to compete at 155 pounds since debuting in the UFC in January 2021.
The UFC has yet to make any sort of official announcement, with comments from UFC CEO Dana White during UFC 297 fight week at least casting some doubt about the status of a fight with Chandler.
“Conor McGregor in June, possibly Michael Chandler, we’ll see how that whole thing plays out,” White told Sportsnet.
Indeed, fight fans continue to wait on the return of McGregor, who hasn’t competed since breaking his leg in a July 2021 injury TKO loss to Dustin Poirier.